Topic

Which Gear to Replace for 3 month AT Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Gear to Replace for 3 month AT Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up buying some stuff today/last night
    After seeing the positive reviews, I bought a Sierra Designs Nitro 30 for $194, should be here next week. I decided that if i was going to buy a sleeping bag in order to cut some weight, it might as well be as light as i could afford.
    I also picked up: patagonia cap1 pants, REI middleweight long sleeve shirt, and underarmour heat gear t-shirt last night off of the gear swap for $35.

i went by the local backpacking store today and decided that I would just bring in all of the gear that i will be carrying, and see what the smallest pack i can fit it in is. I'm thinking i was way off with my 55-60L estimate. Hopefully, I can make a 45L pack work.

David Wills

@willspower3

go for it. be sure to throw a sandbag in there for food. Im interested to see what your final setup turns out to be

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Add:
    compass
    pealess whistle
    backup fire source

Jetboil Flash Java kit (14 oz)
    use Al or Ti pot w/ alcohol stove

Therm-a-rest prolite plus (1 lb)
    use torso-length Ridgerest, Prolite, or Neoair

Gregory Palisade (7lb 1 oz), Hood weighs 6 oz.
    ugh! :)

Gregory Pack cover (6 oz)
    use 2.5 oz trash compactor bag as pack liner

Slumberjack Ultimate 20F long (3 lbs 3oz)
    replace

Mountain Hardwear Tent, weight is with groundcloth, poles, and stakes it is (4 lb, 12 oz)
    I guess this isn't too bad if for 2 people

Camelback Bladder 3L (6 oz)
    use Gatorade or soda bottles or Platypus

Marmot Precip (12 oz)
    use DriDucks (jacket + pants = 12 oz), patch with duct tape

Boots are Merrell Moab Mid Gore-Tex XCR (1 lb 15 oz)
    consider non-GoreTex trail runners with light gaiters (GoreTex will keep your feet wet for days)

7 to 10 iodine pills in first aid kit, in case steripen fails
    use Aquamira or Micropur or other chlorine-based tablets: better for you and work against protozoa given enough time

Crocs (13 oz)
    cross in barefeet or sockless shoes

Trowl (1 oz)
    use heel, tent stake, trekking pole, solid stick, knife to cut hard dirt (not pry/dig)

Don't carry 2 of any clothes except socks

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools