Topic

Looking for advice GR10 Insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Looking for advice GR10 Insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    N. Bellesheim
    Spectator

@nbellesh

Locale: Bay Area

My partner and I are going to hike the GR10 / (maybe some HRP) starting in early June and finishing sometime late July. I'm not sure about how warm to pack for the upper body? Right now I planned to bring:

2 thin wool t-shirts
    capaline 4 half zip
    wind jacket
    rainshadow raincoat
    WM flight Jacket

my partner (who gets cold easy)is bringing

some wool t-shirts
    icebreaker 260 half zip
    wind jacket
    raincoat
    WM flight vest
    R2 jacket

Is this just a bad idea to rely on down as our principle warmth in such a wet environment (we have down sleeping bags too and a tarptent squall 2 that "mists" a little)? Should I add something like a r1 hoody (or ibex indie) or switch out the down jacket for something synthetic?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

roman a. laba
    BPL Member

@romanlaba

Hi Nelson, I have five summers experience on the HRP and much of the GR 10.

I would avoid wool Sems s to me your list duplicates shirts where one will do . I have found that barring unusual weather you dont need a down jacket but a medium weight or insulated jacket will do . I don't know how to allow for your partner being cold . Most people in June and July do not have down jackets. You should have gaiters and light waterproof gloves .
    It isnt especially wet I would say its dryer than say the Alps but it is crucial to be totally proof against rainstorms not only jacket and rain pants but also water proof bags for your gear and pack.

Best wishes ,

Roman Laba

N. Bellesheim
    Spectator

@nbellesh

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks Roman.

Good point about the two shirts; maybe if one was long sleeved I could justify carrying two and leaving the cap4?

Both of us have glove liners and MLD rain mitts (but thanks for the input, I debated leaving mine at home). We also both have low, water-proof gaiters and pack liners / pack covers (might leave the pack covers home).

We take the down coat/vest, not because they are super warm, but because they are the lightest jackets we own (the vest is 5 oz). Would a simple wind shirt be enough? I thought June 1 was a little early of a start after reading a few blogs, so we are sort of preparing for a little cold weather in the beginning.

On the topic of bad weather- we've read several people's blogs which described hairy snowfield crossings late into the summer, so we were thinking of getting some microspikes. Is this totally unnecessary?

Thanks again.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Our Gear list which we took on the GR10 (tenting the whole way) is available here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html
    It was reviewed when we got back here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffin_gear_list_revisited.html

I think you have way too much clothing.
    Thermal layer – one set
    Taslan top and trousers – one
    BPL cocoon – one
    Poncho (actually we took jackets that time, but next time we took ponchos)

Cheers

roman a. laba
    BPL Member

@romanlaba

Hi Nelson,

If you reply to my Email [email protected], I will send you a Pyrenees gear and clothing list.
    If you are going in early June, I would srongly advise crampons and ice axes. Microspikes are not adequate for those snowfields in many conditions . In additon to a dry sack, you should have your clothes and sleepping bag in absolutely waterproof sacks . I beleive you are carryting too many clothes of the wrong type.

Cheers,

Roman

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> If you are going in early June, I would strongly advise crampons and ice axes.
    He's got a point there.

We went to Tarascon intending to loop across the Pyrenees in mid-May, 2007. We took one look at the mountains and changed the plans. They were covered in snow. We would have needed skis or large snowshoes, plus serious winter gear. Early June is only a few weeks later.

My best advice would be to start mid-July.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools