Topic

Converting Wind Jacket to Raingear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Converting Wind Jacket to Raingear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Brunstein

@ariztazer

I’m been tossing around the idea of converting a lightweight windshirt to a full rain jacket. I’m wondering if you’ve had any experience or insight into a project like this.

I’m wondering if it would work to take a lightweight wind jacket, something like the Montane Featherlite Smock (3.5 oz.):

http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=40&rid=7

and using a wash-in waterproofing coating like this:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47876422&parent_category_rn=40000702&vcat=REI_SEARCH

The idea would be to take something that’s water-resistant and make it waterproof. If this works, one could end up with a very lightweight rain jacket. I should mention that I also wear a broad-rimmed hat with a long “cancer screen” that would protect my head and neck.

Your thoughts?

Lucky

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

IMO, the term “waterproofing” is very often made confusing by marketers. To me, a jacket that can keep you dry for a while is water repellant or water resistant. The only waterproof jackets are those that can keep water out even under hours of downpour.

Spray-on’s / wash-in’s can increase a jacket’s water resistance. However, unless your jacket is waterproof to begin with (e.g. PU coating), after-market products won’t make it waterproof. Too bad, cause otherwise, we can all be enjoying 3 oz. wp/b jackets! Obviously, this is not the case.

Here’s an idea I have been toying with (but haven’t actually tried): turn a wind jacket into a very highly water resistant jacket by using a combination of:

(1) Spray on water repellant treatment (or so-called waterproofing treatment in “marketer language”).

(2) Coat the undersides of the jacket’s shoulders and hood — places where rain would hit the most — with seam sealant or equivalent, to make those areas truly waterproof.

The end product is a very lightweight “hybrid” jacket that is (1) waterproof / non-breathable in strategic areas where rain hits the most, and (2) water resistant but very breathable in all other areas.

Thoughts, anyone?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

OR

1. cut down (or not) a driducks/drop stoppers jacket in waist or arm length
    2. wear it UNDER montane featherlite

for an ultralight “inner” rain jacket. Cut down it should weigh maybe 4 oz. or less.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools