Topic

FS: Titanium Cathole Trowels are Back – Improved: 2 Sizes, “Original” 0.4 oz or “Big Dig” 0.6 oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals FS: Titanium Cathole Trowels are Back – Improved: 2 Sizes, “Original” 0.4 oz or “Big Dig” 0.6 oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Dang it, Robert. Because I indeed really don't need one, I was trying hard to behave myself and forget about this second round of trowels. But, alas, as you said, I do indeed want one. Paypal sent.

Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

Just ordered a Big Dig!

David Beechey
    BPL Member

@imp

Locale: UK

Just ordered an original….. all the way to the UK :o)

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I love to hear from those BPLers who dig my trowels. Internationally, trowels have winged their ultralight way to Australia and Canada, and soon will also be headed to the United Kingdom (thanks David). My hands are sore from all the trowel construction, but it's a good sore. Planning a marathon tomorrow to finish up all the orders that come in today, with shipping planned for Monday.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Got mine, Robert, thanks!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

"One small Poop for man, one giant Scoop for mankind."

I love this thing! It actually digs quite well, seems durable and solid, and it knocks 1.3 oz. off my pack weight. Great work, Rob!

Mike Knapp

@idahomike

Locale: Idaho

…but I am headed to PayPal now for the Big Dig.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

6/16/11 update: Thanks to all who have ordered for your support and everyone's kind comments. All ordered trowels are shipping the next day with rare exceptions.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Thanks for the effort, and the update, Robert!

I'll be eagerly watching the mail box!

Steve Clark
    BPL Member

@petuni

Locale: Quispamsis

Thanks Rob

Got the original today and love it, that has potential for many uses!!!!! Thanks again for shipping to Canada!!

David Beechey
    BPL Member

@imp

Locale: UK

Cheers Robert – trowel arrived safely in the UK yesterday. Looks great !

Cameron Semple

@cams

Locale: Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Robert. Big dig arrived safely in Australia today.

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

My Big Dig arrived today. Awesome. Thanks for making these available, Bob.

Big Dig

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Since Dave added his nice comments to this older post (dating back to when I had a limited sale in March and early April before my AT section hike), I have updated my parts of the thread to reflect the reality of current prices and ongoing trowel availability (so as not to confuse BPLers who find one of the threads for the first time).

If you look carefully, you will notice that Dave's Big Dig weighs just a half ounce, LESS THAN the stated weight of 0.6 oz. BONUS !! As I've gotten a more accurate scale myself, I'm finding that the weight of the Original is closer to 0.35 oz and the weight of the Big Dig is closer to 0.55 oz. So they are actually lighter than claimed. Not something you see often in the UL world.

CAN YOU DIG IT ?

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Locale: Western NC Mountains

I also received my Big Dig recently, and it too was 0.5 ounces on my scale.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

For those curious… I ordered my big dig a few months ago (it's great, thanks Robert!), and have access to a rather precise Mettler scale – the trowel flips between 15.4-15.5g, but settles at 15.4g, or .543oz.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Bg Dig with Dyneema wrapped handleI received mine today in a nice tyvek envelope. Thanks Robert. Looks great! I wrapped a 2ft long piece of orange Dyneema around the handle for better grip in my big hands. The Big Dig and a decent amount of toilet paper for a few days, in a ziplock bag, still weighed around an ounce.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Seeing the trowel with the cord wrapped around reminds me a of survival knife for some reason. Give it a sheath, stash some TP inside, maybe some alcohol wipes and you have a potty survival kit ;)

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools