Topic

Tsunami -Lost Coast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Tsunami -Lost Coast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Just a thought. It's likely that somebodie's out hiking the Lost Coast. Are they in danger? and anybody have any idea how to contact them?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If they have filled out a permit the rangers will be at least have an idea of the numbers out there. Which this time of year should be very few if any out there.

John Ladd

@johncurranladd

There was a tsunami warning for Crescent City and points nearby one night when my daughter and I were out on the Lost Coast late May 2008. We didn't know anything about it, but it worried my wife who got on the phone with local sheriff's office who seemed aware of the problem, though she had the impression it wasn't the highest thing on their priority list. I doubt that it was a problem. There is no channel there to funnel the water or increase its speed. If the tsunami height was as reported, and it was low tide, I doubt that backpackers there would particularly have noticed much unless they happened to be right down near the water. Higher wave and a high tide, though, could be an issue.

Link to rough map of our trip

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.00044e34bff5108c3ecab&t=p&z=10

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I looked around on your link, interesting

Some day I need to check that out, but it's an 11 hour drive from Portland so it's a little difficult to justify

If it was raining everywhere up here but sunny there, I might be tempted

If you were going around a head at low tide, then the Tsunami could raise the water level and trap you, but you could probably find somewhere to escape

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Years ago, we were camped at Cape Alava on the Olympic Park beaches and I heard a tsunami report on the radio for the previous day. The campsite is a few feet above tide line, with a hill behind. You could get out of harms way *if* you knew there was a problem. Thankfully, it was an alert and the tsunami didn't come to that area.

I came to realize if there were a real problem, the small number of people out there at any one time would be a write-off. I assume that emergency services would be focused on the towns on the coast.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools