Topic

April Trip in Texas/New Mexico – Partners/Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips April Trip in Texas/New Mexico – Partners/Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I am looking at a trip in April and would be interested in joining up with someone to make it more fun.
    I'm considering
    Big Bend National Park, Guadalalupe Mountains, Gila Wilderness or any other good area within about a days drive of Kerrville, Texas.

The dates would be 2 to 4 nights sometime between April 15-23 (I'm can be a bit flexible).

If you want to come along or have a particular hike you'd like to suggest let me know.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

bump

Travis Naibert

@outwest

Luke,
    I live in northern new mexico and I have off the 20-23 of April. I haven't been to the Gila in a number of years and I have never been to the Guads. I have Gila maps. Let me know what your plans are, I would love to meet up somewhere in southern NM, probably don't have time to drive to Big Bend

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Eugenius is the resident Gila expert, you might pm him. And there is a nice 3 day loop in Big Bend Ranch State Park that is supposed to be really nice, and it has water. As far as the Guadelupes, it's just a matter of trying to miss the wind.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Travis
    Sounds promising you can PM me if you like. I'd be fine doing either the Gila or the Guads since thats probably a more logical meeting point than Big Bend. I would have to be driving back on the 23 (its a long way). Let me know how much driving time you would need. Would you need to drive most of the 20 for example?

Joe
    thanks for the tips, I'll have to look at that Big Bend State Park loop if Travis and I don't go to NM or if I have another weekend. Want to come too or just offering friendly advice?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I might, but I'll have to see what is happening at work around then. Although I do have a brother-in-law in Silver City, so I try to avoid that part of New Mexico.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Travis,
    Okay I looked at the calender and talked with my boss. I really need to be back and ready to work on the 24 so I would need most of the 23rd as a driving day, especially if we did the Gila (the Guads are closer so I could hike a few miles on the 23rd and drive home in the afternoon evening.
    If we want to do the Gila how would it work to meet on the 20th and hike the 20th, 21rd and 22nd. We could make the 22nd a long day and get back late. I'd probably spend the night at the trailhead and head home first thing on the 23rd. Does that sound doable?
    Joe,
    Still interested? The more the merrier.

I'm thinking this would be a good time for me to try for the Gila even though its a long drive but if someone has a strong desire to do some other place I wouldn't object.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools