Topic

Olympic NP trip: 2-4 nights, must include rainforest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Olympic NP trip: 2-4 nights, must include rainforest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'm starting to brainstorm about a possible solo 2-4 night trip in Olympic NP this June-August, although the date is open. I want this to include 1-2 nights in the rainforest, but would like to see some higher altitude scenery too. I could do up to 20 miles per day. I'm just glancing at the NPS shaded relief map right now.

Is the Hoh River the only rainforest area, or are there others? I'll probably walk the Hoh River up to Blue Glacier, and then back down some, and on to another area.

One option I'm evaluating the feasibility of is bushwhacking over to the Elwha River trail from the Hoh, but that appears to be quite a terrain and time challenge. Maybe there's a passable route from the Glacier Creek/Hoh River confluence towards Dodger Point, north of Stephen Peak?

Is overnight camping outside of designated sites allowed if I'm travelling off-trail like this?

Or, I might head over to the Seven Lakes/Sol Duc area via Hoh Lake and do that loop instead.

When would be the best time of year for this trip. I don't mind wet, muddy trails if it means more scenic, flowing water.

What are the shuttle transportation options in the park?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Jefferson Transit goes from the South to Forks Washington http://www.jeffersontransit.com/schedules/westjeff.html
    This follows highway 101 and goes by the Hoh River road, I forget how far that is to the trailhead, you'de have to walk or maybe there's some transit option

Clallum Transit goes from Port Angeles to Forks
    http://www.clallamtransit.com/

I've gone by the transit station at Forks many times and remember seeing these buses going by

I'm not the most familiar with rainforest trails but the Olympic National Park website has a lot of info

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Thanks for the transportation info, Jerry!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools