Topic

GG LightTrek 4 vs TiGoat AGP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG LightTrek 4 vs TiGoat AGP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Derek Ruhland
    BPL Member

@derekruhland

Locale: Southern California

I have narrowed down my trekking pole search to these two models for a two reasons: weight, and the fact that you can turn the upper section of the pole into the lower section of a Tenkara rod using TiGoat's adapter. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has used both (and or seen both in action), and has an opinion on which one is the better option. It seems like they are both great products, so it has been really hard to decide based on reviews. Everyone seems to love both of them. Extra info: I am 6'5", so I would definitely need the long version of either. Also, I will need both poles to pitch my tarp, so both adjustability and durability are an issue beyond just use while on-trail. Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I had some LT4s. Seen the rod setup on the TiGoat poles. That indeed is rather slick. Have heard and seen adjustment problems with the LT4s. Either sticking in one position or the ferrule comes unattached from the pole. Or the pole is just stuck,etc..
    Anyone have this problem with their TiGoat poles? Don't see as many of them, but I don't recall them having the same problem.
    Which grip do you prefer? Or does that not factor into it?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Neither is better. They're both great poles. I've used and owned both.

Ken is right, it really comes down, mostly, to the grip. They are quite different, and one pole's grips do not fit on the other. So decide which grip you like better and go with that one.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I own both, and have hiked with both. I also have the Tenkara and adapter (taking it up to the Mokelumne river next week for first real use!) which can be used with either brand of poles.

The difference in handling is in the grips. The GG have a nicely finished cork grip which is ergonomically shaped. The Goats have a simple foam grip which is more or less cylindrical. The issue for me is the GG grip just doesn't fit my hand as well as it could. It hasn't caused any pain, blisters, or other serious issues, but I have'nt been able to get used to it. This is a personal thing though, you may like them. For reference I'm 6'-3 with large-ish hands. My hand is really comfortable on Black Diamond's shaped grips. This is probably not helping you decide unless you're strictly looking for a shaped grip.

@Ken

I've had a few issues with the GG locks not engaging. It's easy to solve when it happens though. Haven't had the issue with the Goats… yet.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I haven't owned or tried the GG poles. However, I do own and love my Ti Goat poles. I have had no issues with them but they can be taken apart and fixed rather easily. They are certainly durable. And I enjoy the simple grips and lack of labeling.

Derek Ruhland
    BPL Member

@derekruhland

@Ken, Jacob, Angelo: Thank's. Thats exactly the kind of report I was looking for. The last think I want is to be carrying a crippled pole and then sleeping under a half pitched tarp while I wait for a pole to get back from either GG or TiGoat, legendary as both of their customer service reputations may be, so the comments on reliability are much appreciated.

@all: I haven't yet used trekking poles, so I don't know if I prefer a moulded grip, or not. In reviews of the LT4, everyone mentions how great it is being able to adjust your grip on the fly depending on terrain and hiking style. Is that same sort of thing not possible with the cigar grip on the AGP? One thing that strikes me just based on the photos is that palming the AGPs probably would not be as comfortable.

Either way, I think my decision may have been made a good deal easier by the fact that the Tenkara USA adapter for the LT4 is listed as out of stock on the TiGoat website, though I have yet to call DJ and ask whether or not he foresees it coming into stock in the near future.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

I have also looked at getting the tigoat poles and was really interested in the tenkara add on option. I really know nothing about fly fishing but having the option is really cool. has anyone tried using this and is this beginner friendly?

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Derek, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, you may just want to buy both and sell the less comfortable pair. Warning, you may keep both due to some amount of indecision… I know nothing about this of course.

Samuel, it probably can't hurt to have some fly fish experience but casting the Tenkara is a different animal and I don't think experience is all that important. I've only done some "practice fishing" so far, but I can tell you it's a joy to cast. I do my fair share of conventional fly fishing and still haven't got my casting totally dialed, it feels like a lot of work casting long distances. All of that is taken away by the simplicity of the Tenkara. If you google Tenkara on YouTube there are some instructional videos.

I'm going to try and arrange some video of me using my Goat/Tenkara over the next couple of weeks, if/when I do I'll ping this thread with a link.

Derek Ruhland
    BPL Member

@derekruhland

Thanks Jacob. I can't wait to see that video. I've done a fair amount of fly fishing myself, but have never tried tenkara. I've watched all the videos by Tenkara USA, but can't really tell how easy it will be to get started for someone who is coming in cold, as the founder is clearly a really serious fisherman. That being said, I kind of hope there is a bit of a learning curve. It more fun that way!

P.S. I wen't with the TiGoats. I'd love to buy them both and try them out as Jacob recommended, because those LT4 grips do look really cool, but unfortunately I just don't have the funds for that. Thanks again to all posters for the great advice.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

+1 on seeing that video!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools