Topic

REI One Glove vs. Cloudveil Icefloe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI One Glove vs. Cloudveil Icefloe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Keith Franchois

@naqab

Hi All,

Just curious if anyone uses the REI One gloves and/or Cloudveil Icefloe gloves and could tell me the pros and cons of each. I’m also wondering what the actual weight of the REI One Glove is as I can’t find that anywhere on the web. Additionally, if anyone knows the weight of Joe Trailman Trail Gaiters I’d love to know that little piece of trivia too.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

I’ll throw mine on the scale and tell you tonight. I own the REI glove size XL. I don’t own the cloudveil.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

They’re ok. I bought some when REI had them cheap, about $15/pair. I use to use them quite a bit but I prefer: Lightweight capilene glove liners, latex gloves, homemade goretex mittens, and homemade fleece mittens: all of which together weighs 104grams and provide far more flexibility and weather protection.

Craig Shelley

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

My size large REI One gloves weigh 2.8oz for the pair. I don’t really use them as they do not fit my hand well. The thumb is not “boxed” and so there is a bit of floppy fabric on the tip that gets in the way when I need dexterity. If they fit you though, the weight and fabric make for a great liner/ stand alone cool weather glove.

Edit: I had the Icefloes and sold them. Very nice glove (twice as heavy as the Ones but burly as heck) but the OR Contact Gloves fit me better. Mine weigh 5.1 oz in XL and are what I wear under Alti-Mitt shells in winter. I can do just about everything in them from putting on crampons to lighting the stove. The Contacts and Icefloes are just about the same and will be more durable than the Ones with a bit more warmth. The Ones will work better as a liner inside of a pile mitten and shell though.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I also have the rei gloves and find they do not dry quickly once wet thru [as a lot of soft shell materials seem to also].
    Even though you haven’t asked about them I have a pair of the new or alibi gloves and I just want to mention they run a size small.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

The XL are 3 ounces. I’m a big fan of the Pittards palm. The pittards lends the gloves good dexterity. They are low profile and don’t interfere with the strap for my poles. The stretch allows for a snug fit with or without liners and I can tie my shoes/boots with them on.
    They don’t have a ton of insulation, so they are not my first choice for severe cold. I primarily use them for aerobic activities.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

To add some input for your decision.. I own the REI one, and they wet through quickly, and the thick seams running around each finger are annoyoing and interfere with dexterity. The leather palms and stretch fabric seemed like a good combination when I bought them.
    Can anyone suggest a reasonably water resistant, breathable glove which fits snugly? The goretex types Ive found have too much loft for technical finger work such as tying knots. Thanks in advance.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I’ve had the REI One gloves for a few years and I like them a lot. They give me more dexterity than any other glove of comparable warmth and wind/water resistance. The only problem I have is that they dry slowly, although that has more to do with the leather than the Power Shield fabric. My gloves are a bit different than the One Gloves that REI has sold for the last year or two.

I also have a pair of OR Moraine gloves, which are good except that the fingers are too loose fitting for me to have much dexterity. This year I think I’m going to try the OR Airfoil gloves with or without a liner. The Airfoils are very water resistant but don’t have much insulation and don’t give me quite as much dexterity as the Ones.

Of course, the fit of any pair of gloves is a completely individual matter. I have long, thin fingers, so a lot of gloves that otherwise fit well have too much room in the fingers for me to maintain good dexterity.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

I tied a knot in the string from a teabag today while wearing the REI One glove. I can’t imagine more dexterity in a glove. I’ve probably owned 20-24 pairs of gloves in the last 3 years if I count cycling specific (PI Gel Lite, etc). JMO.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

You can buy youself a little more water resistance by working glove-pruf or snowseal into the palms.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I’d been thinking about trying snowseal on the leather of my gloves. Does it affect the grip at all? I was concerned that the leather might become a little bit slippery.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

I usually work snoseal into a pair of deerskin gloves for work and I don’t find it slippery handling conduit,tools,or climbing metal rungs. It is a lot less slippery then wet, slimy gloves. The other product glov-pruf is usually sold in ski stores [and I may not have that name quie right}.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

I searched for over a decade for a glove shell with a grippy, durable palm to wear over a liner for cold weather rock climbing. OR finally perfected it with the 2.8oz medium (with wrist cords removed) Santa Ana and then true to form, discontinued it.

I now find that I like the 2.3oz med REI One glove even more for the same application (I wear it alone w/o liner) although I’m sure it has many other uses also. I recently used them while clearing snow out of cracks on Whitney’s East Buttress Route at 13,200′ in October. I have very cold hands, so that’s quite a testimonial.

The $46 ’05 version that I own is on sale for $27.93 at rei-outlet.com so I bought 3 more for spares.

Keith Franchois

@naqab

This thread has been really helpful in thinking about my glove choice. I’ve gotten the REI One Gloves (on sale from REI-Outlet- $30) but I wonder if it is too much glove for the 40-60 degree temperature range. What do people wear when they want to keep hands from getting chilled in these temp ranges (say it’s overcast)? I’ve been really impressed by reviews for OR Airfoils and Manzella Silkweight Windstopper gloves but are they about the same as the REI One gloves for temperature range? Would a simple pair of Icebreaker/Ibex/Arc’Teryx merino glove liners be a better choice? Thanks for your input.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I have the One Gloves and recently got a pair of Airfoils. The Ones are definitely the warmer of the two. If you just want protection from wind and moderate rain then the Airfoils would probably be fine. The way the Airfoils fit me, I can comfortably wear a light liner underneath when I need more insulation. The Ones don’t allow me to wear a liner, but their tighter fit gives me a better grip and more dexterity.

ANJEY SU

@auphey

I’ve use both REI ONE and Manzella Silkweight. The Manzella is my favorite, went through 2 pairs and will be getting a third as it seems I always lose them b/w seasons. The finger tips seem to wear thin though after a good 3 seasons of use, running, biking, climbing, snowboarding. I got the REI One because my hands got really cold in Jan/Feb winter running at night. The REI was toasty in these ocassions but less dexterous. They are less versitile for me, but work well as needed.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Gloves are the one component of my clothing system I just can not seem to ‘dial in’. Maybe because they have demanding requirements such as pressurized contact with wet surfaces, dexterity, etc.. My requirement is simply for a waterproof breathable glove with some dexterity which I could combine with various inner layers. The REI one gloves wet through in a matter of seconds, and so did my Montbell Drytec gloves.

I would rather avoid bulky insulated “ski” type gloves, but that seems to be the norm when you upgrade to goretex. I have a pair of seal-skinz on order to test out, but does anyone else have a suggestion for a thin, light, WP/B non-insulated glove? Thanks in advance, and sorry, this is very similar to a previous post of mine.

Thanks.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mountain Laurel Designs will be coming out with uninsulated eVENT mittens fairly soon.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Another ancient thread resurrected.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ya, it confused me too

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

"Mountain Laurel Designs will be coming out with uninsulated eVENT mittens fairly soon."

I just bought a pair a few weeks ago. You'll need to seal them. They weigh around 3 oz/pair.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools