Topic

New guy looking to try the hammock thing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping New guy looking to try the hammock thing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Ok, I have had a ENO for about seven years (in my closet). I never used it, I hated the fact that when I got it I had to still get a suspension. So it was forgotten in the gear pile. Well this year I started cleaning house and I found it. I got online and ordered some JRB Tri Glides and webbing (awesome). Now I'm thinking of trying it for backpacking but not with the ENO. I will need a hammock with a net for summer. As far as hammock go I know nothing. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the different makes and models. I think I have found my top four could everyone chime in and give their 2 cents on my picks. Oh! By the way I'm 6' 1" 230 lbs I backpack mainly in VA, spring through fall. I already have a tarp, pad and quilt so I don't think I'll need new ones. Here are my picks HH Explorer Ultralite A-sym, Speer hammock, Tree to Tree Switchback 1.1 DL, WBBB 1.1 DL. Any feed back good and bad will be very helpful. Thanks

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I think you'll find all your answers (and then some) over at Hammock Forums – I'm a Speer guy because of the size (I'm 6' even and 270 lbs).

Good luck – You'll love hanging!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

if using pad(s) you'll find a double layer especially nice. the BB 1.1 double is a solid choice.
    check out http://www.whoopieslings.com (homepage shows a BB) Opie makes the whoOpie sling (credit to myself for that addition :D ) in a bunch of colors. hint: get gray for the foot and red for the head so you can tell which end is which when pulling from stuff sack.

whoopies, webbing huggers, and toggles. that is how to roll my friend.

also, http://www.arrowheadequipment.webs.com has several items and accessories.
    looking for an underquilt to get away from pads? lets talk.
    http://www.tewaunderquilts.webs.com

happy shopping..!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm a HH guy from way back(2000). One stop shopping with the HH. Everything is included. No shelf. I wish Brandon would offer a no shelf option for the Blackbird.

I'm 6'3 215lbs. I have a HH Explorer Ultralight Asym. I have had my 48 pound dog in there with me. No issues.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Kurt,

Glad that you are happy with your JRB straps and tri-glides…

I've used all the hammocks you cite and the TTT Switchback is far and away the most spacous and roomy, especially for big guys…

In any case give us a call when you are ready to ditch the pad… JRB gear fits them all.

Pan

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

I just ordered a War Bonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 and an Edge Tarp can't wait.

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Locale: New England

Congratulations Kurt!

Being pretty new to hammocking, what I am finding helpful is to practice with it often at home. When I spent about 2 months sleeping on a small sailboat a couple of years ago I learned that it took me about 4 full nights before I was able to fall asleep right away because of the new sounds, feelings, etc.

After that, however, it was extremely enjoyable.

A similar thing is happening with my hammock. I just love hanging when I sleep and the rocking motion that occurs right after I enter it.

Best of luck with your new purchase. I'm sure you have many enjoyable nights ahead of you.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Good choice, Kurt! The WBBB is a great hammock and my favorite. I have a 1.0 dbl, at 205 lb. Most comfortable I've ever been in the backcountry!

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

BB is a good choice. Most comfortable hammock I have laid in. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools