Topic

Osgood-Schlatter Disease – input

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Osgood-Schlatter Disease – input

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

Locale: OVER YONDER'

I had this since high school and had surgery on this 3 years ago. Basically they take the bottom of the tendon connected to the patella (kneecap)then shave down the bony cartilage that causes severe inflammation by pushing up and rubbing on tendon when there is leg movement.Then the doc reattaches the tendon back onto the patella and you should be ok.
    BUT I am still having pain issues when hiking on this knee. This has shortened my hikes do to inflammation. Does anyone know of any exercises or methods of controlling this pain? I do take anti-inflammatory meds and stretches, but I still have issues. If anyone could give me some pointers I HIGHLY appreciate it. Thank you for your time and any info.

Pic of Osgood-Schlatter Disease:Osgood-Schlatter Diseaseknee

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Does anyone know of any exercises or methods of controlling this pain?"

Your best bet is to get your orthopedic surgeon to refer you to a good physical therapy program. A really good physical therapist knows this stuff pretty good.

Years ago, I had knee surgery. After I got out of the hard cast, it was not getting better, so I asked the surgeon about PT. He said, "Sure, we have a knee program here. Do you want to do it twice per week or three times per week?"

I replied, "How about both?" So, I started doing PT formally five times per week, and informally more, to the tune of about three hours per day average. It's tough, but that works. If you don't get it halfway cleared up now, it might haunt you for the rest of your days.

–B.G.–

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Working with a physical therapist is probably going to produce your best yield. Your condition is fraught with the potential to worsen with time. The best thing to do is prophylactically try to protect the tendon and cartilage behind your patella as best as possible.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Brian, what's your diet like? In middle school and the beginning of high school I had the same problems, I couldn't sit in a car for 30min without my knees hurting. I stopped drinking cows milk and switched to soy milk and within a couple months I pretty much had total freedom with my knees and I haven't had those problems since. The reason for the change of milk I think was more accidental, I think my family was just trying to reduce the intake of dairy but once I noticed my knees feeling better I stuck to that idea of limiting my dairy consumption. I've done a little research in the last couple years and it kinda makes sense now. I've been following losely a diet based on my blood type A, and have pretty much become 95% vegetarian and haven't felt better these last few years. I guess I'm basing all this on the fact that you do eat dairy, if you don't then ignore this I guess.

James S

@hikinnc

I started having pain when OS developed in my right leg (and eventually me left, though much less substantial) in the summer before 6th grade. In the 3 1/2 months between school I grew just a shade less than 12 inches. OS was crazy painful and I remember the days (and weeks, months, years) when any impact on the "bump" under my knee cap would hurt so bad I'd barely be able to walk for a few minutes after. I've never sought medical treatment for it or physical therapy, nor do I take any medicine of any type. At times I wear a simple knee brace to help with comfort. I've tried OS specific braces and things of the like with no benefit – though I admit the largest available sizes never fit me the way I thought they should. I did play sports all through elementary and junior high, baseball, basketball, and soccer every year.

I'm 26, 6'7 and 260 lbs, for what it's worth.

What are your thoughts on the surgery? Worth it?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I have the visual manifestations of this (both knees look exactly like the above photo). I'd never heard of the disease until last summer when I backpacked with someone who needed to treat himself for the pain at the end of each day. My lumps are larger than his.

Other than when kneeling on hard surfaces I have no pain regardless of how active I have been. Apparently I'm lucky in that regard.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Guys, just out of curiousity. How much dairy do you consume?? Talking to those who have OS.

James S

@hikinnc

I drink milk on a regular basis, usually 1 1/2 gallons a week between me and my seldom milk drinking wife. I didn't mention in my previous post, though – that I haven't had any sensitivity or pain since high school, my junior or senior year actually.

As far as my previous dairy history – when I was young (both before, during, and after OS) it wasn't odd for me to drink a gallon a day or every other day. Did this for years and years.

I don't eat a lot of cheese, but do eat cheese. I don't use much butter (prefer EVOO) but do put it on toast.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

I drank dairy like crazy too, I really don't have any evidence to backup the theory that dairy could be a reason for OS disease other than when I started drinking soy I definitely noticed a difference in my knee pain for sure. I played basketball and football throughout junior high and high school and was constantly having problems with my knees. But, for those who are still having problems it wouldn't hurt to switch to almond milk, rice milk, or soy milk for a bit to see if it helps at all. You might try this before dropping the cash on surgery. Just my thoughts.

James S

@hikinnc

Another problem I had with my large and quick growth spurt was in my arms. I had incredible pain in my arms (during baseball season of course!) and the problem was my humerus was growing a lot faster than the muscles (and everything else) in my biceps and was essentially stretching and causing tearing of the tissues. It was really painful and actually brought me to tears on several occasions.

Ahh, childhood memories.. ;)

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I had this when I was 14 or 15. I remember hitting it all the time which I thought was the cause. Went to the doctor and he had a full leg brace fitted for me which locked and unlocked at the knee joint. I wore this for about a year. My leg grew about 6" over that year and I had to go back to get the thing adjusted quite often. It was still sore after that but became less so as the years passed.

BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

I didn't expect so much input on OS actually. I get some sick comfort in knowing that I am not the only one that knows of this pain.I try to do all of the exercises that my PT gave me to do at home. Those office co-pays add up and my wonderful insurance only covers 15 visits. What I'm experiencing is the dull ache after I do my PT or my daily hike and it effects me the next day really bad.This will really get me on my next section hike this year on the AT.

As far as dairy,I have never noticed a difference one way or the other as far as intake of dairy. I fluctuate as far as intake.One week I'll drink two gallons, another I'll have a quart. I have never noticed any change one way or the other.
    I will try to pay more attention to this though and reply back if I do.

For those who are like James S, after having the surgery two years ago, my pain is obviously back and so is the painful lump. I would not get the surgery.

Would taking glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate be beneficial at all for me?

I'm just really concerned I'll slow my hiking bud down this year and this will effect me negatively in multiple ways.

Thanks again for your time,knowledge, and replies.

I also wanted to add that I was diagnosed with OS when I was 13 and I just played through the pain all through high school sports baseball,football, and basketball.
    Then continued on being active with hiking ever since. I had my surgery and PT at age 36. Apparently even after surgery this will continue on being a chronic pain due to being so late in getting treatment.

I'll be 39 next month and between my knee with meniscus issues and my back, I feel like I'm waaaay beyond my years and its taking a toll on me mentally.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I took a bad 5' fall onto rocks and pulverized mine. No pain in that knee since. A first in nearly 20 years. Mine was not a severe in the photos though.
    I do not recommend this form of treatment.

BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

I'm gonna have to pass on pulverizing my knee Ken lol. I am however jealous you took care of it.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

brian have you gone back to the surgeon who did the operation and told him you're still having pain? that would be my first stop.

BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

Exactly what Im going to do tomorrow is call my doc and ask what to do. I have to be honest, Im worried he'll want to repeat the process.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools