Topic

Hubba vs. Seedhouse SL1 vs. Scarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hubba vs. Seedhouse SL1 vs. Scarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

This may be backwards thinking for a UL forum but I like to keep at least 1 solo double wall shelter in my gear closet. I have a Tarptent Moment and like it but prefer a double wall for some situations. Over the past summer I used a Seedhouse SL1 for extended periods and it was ok but I don't like the front entry that can get gear and the inside tent wet and the 11 stakes needed to make a "freestanding" tent stable. I did consider a TT Rainbow but it would still come in close to 40oz sealed with the inner liner.

The MSR Hubba is on sale right now for $182 and it is tempting. Side entry, rectangular floor area, less stakes, double wall, and true freestanding compared to the SL1. But, it does weigh nearly 1/2lb more than the SL1. I have also heard that the Hubba series can take a little more harsh weather than the Seedhouse SL series. Materials of the Hubba seem a little more beefy, maybe that is worth it for my "when all else fails" tent. I read that the floor is very waterproof, rated 10,000mm. The vestibule is much roomier and gear would not be in the way during entry or exit.

Maybe I would be better off getting a TT Scarp 1 with all the options but that would be $420. The tent would probably be used for some sections of a thru-hike and light winter weather. Sometime in the future I am interested in trying an MLD Duomid with solo net tent.

Any thoughts?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have a Scarp 2 already, and a Moment on its way. Will you be camping in forested areas, or above the treeline or in treeless areas? If you're in forested areas, I think the Moment would do fine if you add guylines to the arch pole and the mid-panel guyouts (where the extra pole attaches). There's a photo somewhere on here of a Moment in almost a foot of snow. This is what I intend to do for light winter conditions.

Adding the new 4 oz liner to the Moment would make it almost a double wall tent, adding some warmth and condensation protection.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

I am aware of the Moment liner and have considered that. After a few storms I added guy lines to the arch pole which does help. But, with everything added up, seam sealed, and a liner, it would still be 36oz. Add the crossing pole to make it freestanding and it becomes 43oz. It has been used in all four seasons (and snow). For something like the PCT, I would use the Moment for sure. For something like the AT, I would rather start out in a little more weather resistant double wall and switch to a lighter shelter later on in the hike.

Locations I could be using the tent vary, everything from forest in the humid SE to the tundra of the far north. I like to think of solo double wall tents as my go-to shelter for traveling when I have no clue what to encounter or will be base camping. The Hubba would replace my SL1 if I like it well enough. It would also be the "loaner" tent if someone else goes on a trip with me.

Mostly I am looking for pros/cons from people who have experience with both.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I've owned both and kept the SL1.

IMO, both shelters are essentially equal in quality with some straight forward trade off's. The SL1 is lighter, sheds wind a little better. The Hubba is a little roomier and has side entry. I've never needed more than 8 stakes with the SL1, almost always only 6. The Hubba is free standing, but I would almost always stake the corners if I could anyway.

The Fly Creek is even lighter and essentially the same as the SL1, only shorter. If you can squeeze into it you save even more weight.

The scarp could be worth looking into as an alternative to both. I don't have any experience with it. Supporting the Cottage movement is a good thing.

David Ure

@familyguy

I too have used both and would recommend the Hubba over the SL1. Noticeably more volume, more length, more head room, easier entry, more waterproof, larger vestibule, quicker set up.

Having said that, the Scarp looks yummy, and with the optional cross poles it becomes a legitimate 4 season shelter.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

I ordered a new Hubba for $162(with a $20 coupon). We'll see how it goes.

A friend let me borrow a BA Copper Spur UL1 (side entry cousin to the Fly Creek) and it weighs 3lb 5oz with footprint in the stuff sack. For two ounces less, the Hubba (minus footprint) seems more rugged and durable at the expense of some floor area. I use tyvek as a footprint as it can be used for more than one tent and in shelters.

Don't get me wrong, the Seedhouse SL1 has been a good tent but for a few ounces more I get freestanding, better materials, and the side entry that David mentions. The Fly Creek UL1 was considered but for the same weight I can use my TT Moment and liner along with the ease of setup and side entry.

Most of the time I will be using the Moment but there are definitely situations where I prefer the double wall (and I need a spare tent for people to borrow).

For as tempting as the Scarp is, it may be better to hold off and get the Scarp 2 for when I have a need for a 2 person all season adaptable tent.

In all honesty, I think Pyramid shelters are probably the way to go but that is a different topic for a different time.

Raymond Greco

@91south

Locale: Northeast

Hi Ryan – can I ask where you bought the new Hubba? I recently bought one of the "old" models from LL Bean, but your price is much better.

Thanks,
    Ray

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Hi Ray, Campsaver has the older model yellow and orange Hubba for $181.97 but if you sign up for their newsletter they will email you a $20 off coupon code for items in their outlet area (which applies to the Hubba) making the price $161.97. Click the link below to navigate directly to that page.

http://www.campsaver.com/outlet/hubba-tent-1-person-3-season-30628

The Fly Creek UL1 can be found for under $270 if you are looking for a true UL tent.

Raymond Greco

@91south

Locale: Northeast

Excellent – thanks Ryan!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools