Topic

Which Industrial Machine?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which Industrial Machine?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

So I am buying my first industrial heavy-weight lock stitch machine next week.

I have the option to buy one of two older machines in good working order (pretty much).

All things being equal, should I pick up the Brother DB2 B790-5, or the Mitsubishi LS2-210.

They both have clutch motors and tables in good condition.

Anyone with experience with these machines?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

John,
    I am not familiar with those machines. The one recommendation I do have is to get a servo motor. It will give you way more control and you won't have to listen to the motor spinning when you aren't sewing.

If you do get a servo motor that has a brake on it, you can remove the brake to allow easier hand turning so you don't have to depress the pedal just enough to release the brake but not so much you turn the motor. My servo motor stops immediately when I release the pedal.

I also replaced the belt with a link type belt (the red ones you can make any length) much smother and doesn't leave black stinky dust.

let us know what you end up with and how you like it

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

One more note

Make sure the machine uses a needle that is available, I can't get needles locally (small town) but it is a standard industrial size and I buy them in 100pks for $22, so they are cheap.

Also check for the bobbin size and if the bobbin cases are available. The bobbin case is a high wear item that will need to be replaced at some time.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

A great sewing machine for building gear is a zig zag/straight stitch combo… Something like a Singer 20U. If I could only have one machine this is the one I would have.. You can find them used on Craigslist for around $300-$500 depending on the condition. As Chris said a servo motor is great if you can find one especially in a machine like this. If your going to be sewing alot of backpacks you could go with a walking foot like a Consew 206RB but this machine doesn't work the best on light stuff like silnylon. So at the end of the day it really depends on what your going to be sewing.. Well Good Luck..

John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

Thanks both of you for your insights into this question. I am not in the enviable position of being able to buy a machine with a servo, so clutch motor it is, until money allows for an upgrade.

The two machines I mentioned are of adequate quality to sew 1000d to web, and do not see an immediate need for a walking foot machine, though it sure would be cool to eventually add to the quiver, and to help binding with grosgrain/ repairing marine canvas.

For now, I'll be making backpacks. Thanks again!

JC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools