Topic

G4 with Frame & Detachable Hipbelt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear G4 with Frame & Detachable Hipbelt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Cronin

@kwcronin

Good Evening,
    A ‘mutated’ G4 build (just had to tinker with plans):
    Changes:
    a) Frame – two aluminum stays that seat into hip belt along with aluminum rod bent in squared ‘U’ to support the load lifters. Shoulder straps wrap rather than directly attaching per standard G4 plans.
    b) Hip belt – detachable and wraps hips. Stays seat into belt for load transfer.
    Pack is 24 oz and handles 25 lbs comfortably.
    Attached are photos are:
    – Back of pack with pad removed.
    – ‘Build’ photo with stays seated into hip belt.
    This was a first sewing project and I do have an appreciation for the elegant and careful MYOG work that folks here do.
    kwc
    Back of pack with pad removedHip belt in holder with stays seated (hip belt also attached with large velco patch)

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Nice work, Kevin!

I have a couple questions: What provides the downward compression on the top of the U-frame (channel velcro flaps?), and do you have a detail photo of how you connected the vertical aluminum slats with the "squared U"?

Thanks

Kevin Cronin

@kwcronin

On Downward compression: basically just the velcro flap that holds the 'U' in place. See attached photo.

The 'U' and slats were bent so their curves match for the portion thats in the sleeve. The 'U' is bent back and 'dimpled' such that when the lifters are tightened the back of the pack is tight to my shoulders but clears my head.

U/lifter Detail

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools