Topic

baking cornbread on a woodstove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition baking cornbread on a woodstove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

I had some Jalapeno Cornbread mix unused after my last trip. I baked it up this afternoon using my smallest Firemug.
    It is a pre-packaged mix but I added 3/4 cup dehydrated saffron rice and a little extra water and used the outback oven. It turned out well. I ate almost all of it with a little butter.

First I boil some water for green tea.

After the water boils and the fuel is essentially coals, I place the pan on for a minute to heat up, pour the batter in and rig up the outback oven.

With the smaller mugs I usually add a few twigs after a few minutes to keep the temp at baking level. the middle black marking indicates the temp is at "bake"

I probably could have left it on a few more minutes, but I was hungry.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

that looks yummy

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

thanks Laurie Ann!
    The saffron rice really added a lot of flavor and texture.
    My Outback oven is 20 years old but really hasnt been used that much until the last couple of years on my woodstoves.
    I have turned into a dehydrating addict with my thrift store dedydrator. I baked a trout in it a few weeks ago that tuned out great.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I adore saffron.

I find it curious that you were able to use the OO with a woodstove. I am going to have to try it out with my Vital Stove. I have both the Plus 10 Outback Oven and the ultralight. Which one I use depends on style of trip.

I know baking isn't particularly UL but it sure does add something to a trip, doesn't it?

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Wow, I hadnt heard of this type of stove but it looks very sturdy. that would the ticket for car camping.
    Woodstoves work fantastic for baking. The coals produce a very mellow heat. I like to use a totally enclosed pan to avoid any smoke getting in the food. With the larger stoves, you can use larger fuel and probably wont have to add ANY extra fuel to finish a good 20min. bake.
    I have this year started to carry just a Firemug with no additional fuel for my hikes. Here in the Southeast where we have no real fire restrictions and plent-o-wood it is pretty easy.
    I call it the "just one limb" principle"
    Over the course of a days hike (even in snow) I will pass at least one choice limb. (3ft long, base being close to thumb size with a lot of smaller branches near the tip.)this should be enough for supper and breakfast. I break it up as small as I can and stuff it into one of those papery type grocery store reusable bags (less than 1oz) and carry it with me.
    The stove shown above weighs 1.8 oz.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

The Vital stove has a damper so you can control the heat. I don't mind using it for hiking if we go on certain longer trips. I find that it's better on longer trips when I can justify the extra weight because of the fact I don't have to carry fuel. We do use it car camping and in the winter though.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

I like that it folds down so small. I missed that the first time I looked at the website. It would make a good stove for sea kayaking and superb for group cooking with the 50lb capacity. How long do the batteries hold out?
    The grill looks nice too.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

We use it for group cooking mostly when there are 4 to 8 of us. The batteries have lasted us well on a 12 day trip. I used rechargeables in it. I can't remember the number of hours quoted for the battery life but 40-ish seems to come to mind.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools