Topic

Via yeah-yeah

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"I know it sounds catty but wow, Peet's can be sooooo quiet – like being in an old school library. Weird and all. I much prefer the liveliness of the SB's – but that is my preference."

Nah, it's just part of the generation gap, IMO, Sarah. Some of us old FaRts like to wake up with a steaming mug and the newspaper, to the tastefully subdued notes of a string quartet instead of Mick Jagger or some such blaring out at 90+ decibels. The age difference is really noticeable between the Peets I frequent and the Starbucks about 200 yards down the street. Diff'rent strokes. The SB gets a lot more traffic, and I am grateful there is still a place for such as me in this hectic, youth oriented society. My biggest fear in this whole SR buying Peets rumor is that if it goes through, I will be out of a happy home. :(

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ya know that is funny….all those years I worked at my shop I brought my own music to play – a wide range of classical (Baroque being a fave) and stuff like mellow Sting music. I always played it levels where people could just hear it but not be swamped. Might have been one reason people would linger – read, talk, sit around the fire place….

It was a good point in my life – I was paid horribly and did 2 people's worth of work – but I loved it. And hey, I got 3 days a week off to hike :-D

I'll say I hate coffee houses with loud music. It is pretty much why I don't go to bars…

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

any of you guys that dont personally roast ever buy from gourmet roasters in your area?
    for instance, I have http://hanovercoffee.com/ and oldbisbeeroasters.com
    both relatively local, and both far and beyond above the overroasted and overpriced FourBucks (and Peets is not much of a step up from there)

i would like to start roasting, but have about 43 other hobbies to start first, not to mention home brewing! (takes precedent)

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

"any of you guys that dont personally roast ever buy from gourmet roasters in your area?"

We usually order from this fellow in Reno.

http://www.woodfireroasted.com/index.cfm?

And there's an independent espresso joint a block away, owned by our neighbor across the street. Laziness means I generally pull shots in the kitchen, instead.

Cheers,

Rick

Anonymous
    Inactive

" brought my own music to play – a wide range of classical (Baroque being a fave) and stuff like mellow Sting music. I always played it levels where people could just hear it but not be swamped. Might have been one reason people would linger – read, talk, sit around the fire place…."

Now that is a heartening story. You and Peets had a lot in common, I think, in that you both recognized the importance of creating an atmosphere where people just naturally linger and actually connect with their fellow humans, or take the time to reflect on life. Some might even call it community building. It's too bad for the community that you closed your doors. That kind of place is increasingly hard to find any more in this go go go culture.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

It was indeed a community center – it was in the center of a small town on an island. I worked there for 8+ years. The kind of place where everyone came to it – cops, lawyers, judges, EMT workers, hospital employees, the teachers – even the homeless guys who lived in the woods outside of town.

I had one long time customer who people were often rude to, he had severe mental health issues and received a disability check once a month (he was also homeless). I'd let him slide all month and let him come in and drink black coffee all day and often saved him pastry items that would be tossed (they were still very edible!). He'd never bother anyone and sit quietly in the corner (for being homeless he was very clean) or on the patio in the warmer months. And once a month he would settle up his debt for his coffee (although I gave him quite the discount). He "payed" me back in other ways though by being very loyal and helping me around the shop.

At the same time I was nearly held up one morning a little after opening by a stranger – who I guessed thought it would be an easy roll…the coffeehouse was full of "old men" and no young people. Some of those old men were plain clothes detectives ;-) The other ones were old farmers who didn't much like strange folk..lol! That is community I can tell you! Hah!

But community…when the Seattle earthquake happened my customers helped me get everything back in order once the earth quit shaking. When I had my oldest son people I knew by drink, not name, showered me in help.

And I will never forget 9/11 when we had the TV on but no sound and the shop was full of scared people just sitting together. Many parents went to the school across the street and took their children out – and came over – to simply be with other humans and not be alone.

I miss community I can tell you that. My time on the island changed me indeed….and nothing compares to it. The Doctor that delivered Ford over 13 years ago recently saw my brother and asked how we were doing – I'd never get that where I live now!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It was indeed a community center – it was in the center of a small town on an island. I worked there for 8+ years. The kind of place where everyone came to it – cops, lawyers, judges, EMT workers, hospital employees, the teachers – even the homeless guys who lived in the woods outside of town."

What a heartwarming story, Sarah. Sorta takes me back to an era when that was a lot more common. You can still find it in a lot of rural areas and small towns, but I wonder for how long. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I feel just a little bit better for having read your post.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools