Topic

Suggest me some UL mosquito proof shirt with long sleeves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggest me some UL mosquito proof shirt with long sleeves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Petri,

My silk underwear is somewhat see through and tight fitting and mosquitoes bite right through it. But if you found a silk shirt tightly woven and thick enough (loose fitting would be preferred) it would probably work but I have never seen anything like that. Maybe your Finnish friends can give you a source.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I wouldn't wear silk shirts.

1. Most people buy them for their lightness and airiness. Good luck trying to find a thick and tightly-woven version.
    2. My own experience, silk feels sticky and uncomfortable after a few wears — sooner than Coolmax and poly/cotton blends.
    3. Silk requires more delicate care/laundering.

Silk is traditionally a "luxury wear" for royalty and the rich.

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Locale: Finland

Couple finnish brands were mentioned in forums with recommendations (silk shirts)…

http://ruskovilla.fi/EN/Products/Adults
    http://linnox.com/ (site under construction, only in finnish right now)

Second hand shops could be good a source for somekind of silk shirts also…

Actually normal "dress shirt" made from silk would be ideal for me… You can open front, it has couple front pockets, high collars protect more when needed, sleeves can be rolled up easily, light, very comfy,

This may lead to that next year I will be hiking in full black suit ;)

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Hi Roger,
    http://www.vaellusnet.com/turinat/viewtopic.php?t=6711&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ymmärrätkö suomea?

Roger: one guy mentioned that in one trip, when mosquitos we really bad… only shirt that worked very well was a WHITE silk shirt… of course no mention what other shirts were…

but wearing a white silk shirt in backwoods just sounds wrong ;)
    well couple days and its not really white anymore :)

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Thanks Petri

No I do not understand Finnish, but Google Translate is always a good start : ) But as I am heading to Lapland for 3 weeks in July the issue of mosquitos (which I have seen first hand last year) is of interest to me. Loose fitting shirts seems like a good start and I am intrigued by the suggestion that a silk shirt is better. My question is why? Is it the fabric, the colour or ???

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Roger,
    Welcome to Finland in July, which part of Lapland you are heading?

I think like in everything else there is a lot of quality differences in silk shirts. But long sleeve silk shirts could weight something like 120g, better quality maybe close to 200g.
    But if you could treat that shirt with these poisons we have mentioned here… or maybe even works well without any treatment..?
    But for sure I will get a silk shirt for next summer trips…
    maybe in some light colour?

google translate can be funny…

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Agreed google Translate (even in my limited Danish) is funny. I don't use the poisons either, last year when hiking from Björkliden to Kilipsjärvi I used Prevent ( a pyrethrin based product) which worked well. This year I am intending to start in Kvikkjokk and finish in Abisko so I will not make it to Finland, however, I hope that I will be in Tampere in September when Chris Townsend is there

Silk shirts are worth investigating in my view, I just need to find a supplier of light coloured ones.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools