Topic

Suggest me some UL mosquito proof shirt with long sleeves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suggest me some UL mosquito proof shirt with long sleeves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Locale: Finland

Hi,
    with collar or without it..
    Can you think of anything that weights about 100g (3.5 oz) and could be used while sleeping at summer time.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

most windshirts would fit those criteria AND you get the advantage of wind protection and w/ the ones w/ good DWR water resistance too, I've worn mine to sleep when I feel the need for additional layers

if the bugs are bad at camp or on a break, I break my 4 oz Houdini out (if I don't already have it on :))

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Windshirts maybe, but how about their comfort against the skin?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

have never worn it directly on the skin, have always had a very thin baselayer (Cap1 or Merino1) under it

it may be just fine, just haven't tried it

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Check out the Rail Riders Men's Madison River Shirt with Insect Shield

"Beat the heat and bugs with this sun-blocking, well-ventilated and stylish shirt"

http://www.railriders.com/men-madison-river-shirt-with-insect-shield-p-881.html?cPath=104_111&osCsid=54s88lee6gcslfsn8gprvm4n30

EDIT: I just now noticed your weight requirement…this is to heavy.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Does not exist in regular fabric shirt at that weight. You would have to wear a windshirt.

Edit: Forgot about permethrin treating of regular shirt or using a BPL Thorofare. Those might do the trick.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Closest is probably the BPL Thorofare shirt, and it's more akin to a windshirt than a traditional shirt as far as fabric goes. It does feel fine against the skin though.

Brian Dickens

@briand

Locale: Colorado

I have used Buzz Off (exofficio) in Malaysia and it works well.

Cheaper and better alternative:
    Last summer we treated existing clothing and re-treated Buzz Off with the sawyer permethrin 10 garment kit, military strength.

Both worked amazing and much better than repellent if you can put up with long pants, shirts and hat.

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Seems that this kind of shirts starts from about 200g (7oz)
    Exofficio looks good,
    does anyone know whats the difference in their insectshield and bugsaway (and buzzoff) shirts?

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I am all about the Permethin treated clothing. You can spray the lightest silk undergarment with the stuff and mosquitoes will leave you alone, except of course for the body parts sticking out.

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Jeff and Brian: Tell me more about this permethrin, is it like boosted DEET? I hope it is not DDT ;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Sawyer's permethrin in a pump spray bottle from REI and other places

Hang clothing outside, spray it, let it dry a few hours (probably better a couple days).

Permethrin is unhealthy if it touches your skin. But treated this way it's okay.

There's also a kit to soak your clothing and then let it dry. I'm just a bit worried that you'de have (dried) permiethrin against your skin.

Either treatment is good for a few trips. They say you can wash it several times. With the pump spray it's easy enough to retreat more often.

There's a lifetime (for me) supply in one bottle.

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Thanks Jerry,

Everybody, check out this picture ! LOL
    http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT

Pump it in and you are good to go ;)

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

It is actually an insecticide as in kills insects and not just repels them. It does not damage coatings etc like DEET. I have used it on screen portions of tents including doors and inside vestibules to help keep the bloodsuckers from waiting to ambush me.

Spraying it on socks, and the inside and outside cuffs of pants and shorts help keep the ticks from traveling up to my nether regions.

It is actually based on a natural version if what I remember is correct though I have never found the natural version in a spray form. The natural version becomes inert on your skin but not so sure on the chemical variation, but it is not meant to be used on your skin.

There is one more brand besides Sawyer out there but can't seem to remember the name. My Wal-Mart has not been carrying either of late but find it at Academy stores which are only in the south.

One more thing: The chemical version is used in flea treatment for dogs (at least in the US) so you may be able to get it in the pet department. For a frame of reference Sawyer uses .5% Permethrin as in 1/2 of 1 percent in their sprays. My dog stuff only uses .15%.

Jeff

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Permethrin is a bad a s s synthetic chemical

Pyrethrum is a natural insecticide derived from Crysanthemums.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Correct!

anybody seen my marbles?

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

This might be something I'm looking for.
    http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1111-1263&key=3478d74c-340e-401b-82bd-fdc28e289861

I wonder how much this shirt weight?

Unfortunately they don't ship to Europe… Could anyone trusted BPL member act as a middleman (paypal, google checkout). I pay products and shipping costs. USPS to Finland is $14 and up to 4 lbs.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Anything around that weight will be a windshirt and a little sticky to wear against the skin. Most base layer long sleeve shirts are more than 3.5oz and would be my choice for sleep.

There are quite a few button-down shirts available, but more like 11oz. Ex Officio has the Buzz Off line, or you can treat your choice with permethrin. The Ex Officio Airstrip Lite button-down shirts are nice for hot weather and a simple physical barrier without the chemicals.

You can get a bug net jacket that is 4oz, but it wouldn't be good for anything else: http://www.wisementrading.com/insectprotection/bug_out.htm

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Another vote for the permethrin spray. It's great against ticks and chiggers, too (treat all your outer clothing). Just watch your exposure to it when it's still wet. Spray the clothing outside, making sure the spray is downwind of you, and let it dry thoroughly. While the squirt bottle is more economical, I found it much harder to get an even spray with it. I ended up with an aerosol can instead to get an even coating with less spray used per treatment.

Remember that if you are wearing trail runners, your ankles will be vulnerable, since the mosquitoes will bite right through your socks. My first trip with trail runners instead of boots, I forgot, and my ankles itched for weeks. Spray the outside of your sock tops or wear shortie gaiters!

Note that permethrin is not effective against biting flies (read the label). Failing a suit of medieval armor, a wind shirt over your regular shirt or base layer offers the best protection against those nasties. If you don't want to use chemicals, the wind shirt over a light base layer is your best bet. Note that Buzz-Off and similar shirts are also chemically treated, I believe also with permethrin.

The stuff for dogs that contains permethrin (K9 Advantix) is one of those spot treatments (applied on the back between the shoulder blades) that travels through the skin, and is not approved for humans. Please don't spray your dog with permethrin anywhere he can reach to lick it off (which includes all the vulnerable areas of the dog). Please discuss with your vet first!

The "other" brand of permethrin spray is Repel Permanone.

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

I found one permethrin product "Bio Kill" from Finnish online outdoor store. It has 2.5 g permethrine per litre. New product for me. I have to try that next summer for my clothes.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Permethrin — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin
    As it states, it is a neurotoxin. Personally, I would rather be close to DEET instead (although DEET can melt your clothes). Pick your poison.

Actually, I just hike with a wind shirt (and bug net, bug gloves, etc.). I've worn a bug shirt without a T-Shirt underneath, and it is OK. I generally just wear my T-Shirt all of the time instead, so I really don't save any weight by leaving it at home (I don't feel like walking around half naked and I wouldn't want to wear a wind shirt all of the time).

So, I see what you are getting at with your original post. It would be nice if you had a base layer that was as comfortable as a T-Shirt, but bug proof. Maybe it could have removable sleeves (or sleeves that are easy to roll up). The Original Bug Shirt (http://www.bugshirt.com/) is made out of cotton, but it is not comfortable to wear and is fairly heavy. It is kind of baggy (for good reason). I only break it out when I know I'll see heavy bugs and I'm going on a day trip. In general, in order to make a shirt bug proof, it has to have a very tight weave. I could see a synthetic T-Shirt being made that way, I just don't think anyone has done that (and even if they did, it wouldn't be close to the weight of a wind shirt). Plus, if you had that, it wouldn't breathe that well (another trade-off).

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

I have this same discussion going on at finnish outdoor forum and somebody suggested silk shirts. Do you have any experiences with silk shirts? I know they are really light and comfy, but are they bug free, even when fabric is against the skin?

Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

How well does Permethrin hold up against washing?

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Sawyer claims 6 washings!

I think Ex Officio claims 50 or so.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have used silkshirts, and I assume it is the light colour that may make them bugfree, I would love to know more about silk shirts and bugs can you send me the finnish link?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools