Topic

Chiffron vs No-see-um baffels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Chiffron vs No-see-um baffels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    z jack

@zoharj

I am making my second down quilt and am thinking of replacing no-see-um with nylon chiffron. Its probably about half the weight of no-see-um and cheaper. I don't know if it will be a good choice though Anybody have any input?

Here is a link to chiffron:
    http://www.afc-express.com/nylon-chiffon.html

Thanks,
    Zohar

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It works. But there is an increased risk of shredding the baffle as chiffon is rather delicate.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I could not agree more.

The chiffon I tried was tearing before I could finish the project.

–B.G.–

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I used a very "cheap" "organza" fabric for my first quilt's baffles, it weighed roughly the same as "nanoseeum" and mostly cost me about the same once gas was factored in.

That quilt is still going strong today as Neon's 3-season quilt, but sewing the organza was a totaI PITA. I had to fold and press the sides 1/4" before sewing. With no-see-um or nano-see-um mesh, it's not necessary, since the fabric doesn't unravel.

Here's a pic of Neon:neon

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Please Javan, do share a picture of Neon inside the quilt, it's not everyday you see a Great Dane inside a custom made down quilt.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Haha yeah I'll try to get one of him next time we're out, here's a pic of him on the couch under a cheapo coleman synthetic bag we got from the thrift store for them to use as a dog blanket:neon bag

He loves being covered up by something when he sleeps, he'll harass me all night long until I lift the blanket on the bed and let him climb under, and he'll sleep there all night laying on my legs, if I let him.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools