Topic

Dried Seaweed/Wakame..?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dried Seaweed/Wakame..?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Apologies if I’ve missed this (although a quick search the forums didn’t yield any hits), but I am interested to know if anyone has experience eating dried seaweed, specifically wakame, on the trail.

It has many anecdotally positive properties and some interesting quantifiable ones, stores dried, is moderately tasty, and gnawing on it is, um, amusing. ;-)

Given its composition and the fact that it expands 3-7x its volume when wet, mixed with powdered miso and some ramen it’d make a tasty and filling freezerbag soup (FBC.com lists an example), and it’s seemed like an incredibly filling snack just nibbling on small amounts around the house. Of course, I realize that many times feeling full from such a calorie-light food is the *last* thing one wants…

Just curious before I consider packing a small bag of it…don’t want to have surprise GI consequences on the trail without asking around a bit first!

Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I do eat it (sparingly due to the natural sodium content) and love it. Helps that I work for an asian importer of food ;-)
    Carry a bag-it weighs nearly nothing! It is fun in ramen, and in the Sushi Bowl recipe you saw on my website.
    Just rember that it does contain sodium if you are watching that :-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools