Topic

4th Annual BPL GGG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 4th Annual BPL GGG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

EVENT MOVED TO HENRY COE STATE PARK FEBRUARY 17-19 2012

kevin smith

@divr6347

here we go again lol

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Well the location is fine, but for those traveling from the south that is an added 3-4 hours of driving

kevin smith

@divr6347

jack and i will have to leave thursday instead of friday LOL

but rest assured when the who wants to go list comes up we will be on it hehe

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Hey! You can't have two 'annual' events in the same year! :)

I now realize it is past Feb already! Ha Ha- I'm such a …

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I estimate this thread will break the record for most pages of any other on BPL.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I am so excited already. Can't wait.

I was thinking maybe we could have a little more gear highlighting, like we talked about. Maybe favorite new gear of the year? Lightest kits? Most innovative? Something like that? It'd also be very very cool if some real, tangible BPL products were raffled off.

Ken T, are we car camping one night and hiking in the next?

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

I plan on coming. This area will be new for me.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Sam,

Just wanted to say thank you for BPL's & your contribution to the event.

Was really generous of you all to put something into the pot to make the event more fun.

A ton of photos are up now and I have gotten to the point where the Stove Burn Off is now documented.

And yes, this might be the longest, more rediculous thread in history.

I am all for moving it North…maybe some sort of rotation from North, Bay Area-ish, and Southern Cal.

Moving it around might allow people from boarding areas of the State to join…like WA/OR, etc?

-Tony

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

I like the idea of a new place, but I also like the idea of keeping it easy for SF and LA people to both attend without too much trouble. Henry Coe seemed to work well for that. Big Sur / Ventana would too.

Also, near a major airport seems to be a must based on this year, but I think Cache creek isn't too hard to get to from Sacramento airport.

I leave it in the good hands of Ken and Ken.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

EVENT MOVED TO HENRY COE STATE PARK FEB. 17-19 2012

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ken, I like your idea and a new place is always welcomed. For what it is worth I was looking at it from a middle of the state persepective. I know that you have a long drive as well as the Southern CA folks. Just thinking out loud

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

"estimate this thread will break the record for most pages of any other on BPL"

ahhhh Sam, ya think!

Oh and thanks for donating the BPL gift cards, that was most appreciated!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ken, I have done some work on this and this is something that could really work. It is not too far away from the Bay Area, and yes it does add to others travel time from the south. But if it is on a 3 day weekend like Presidents' Day Weekend, then this just might work. I wanna look into this more…..

On a side note, I can come up through Napa or Sonoma and do some wine tasting along the way….I like that!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

EVENT MOVED TO HENRY COE STATE PARK FEB. 17-19 2012

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Which way are you thinking of going in? I don't know this area at all, but what I found on the web was Redbud Trail or Judge Davis Trail, both going to Wilson Valley. Has anyone been in there?

From trip reports posted, it looks beautiful – may be worth missing work for (I'm scheduled for 2 performances that weekend)!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

EVENT MOVED TO HENRY COE

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Depending

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

according to yolohiker.org:
    Judge Davis trail: "…follow this old fire road all the way to Cache Creek. … Cache creek is impassable during high water, so the creek marks the end of this trail. If the water is low enough, you can get to the Wilson Valley and continue on the Redbud Trail. "

according to calipidder.com:
    "The Redbud Trail starts just off of Highway 20 about ten miles east of Clearlake. It is about 2.5 miles to Baton Flat, and there the trail crosses the creek. The flow of the creek is not just dependent on recent rains – it is also regulated via the dam upstream. Because of this the water level is unpredictable. I’ve seen it nearly dry (May 2009) as well as 50 yards wide and chest deep (May 2010)."

This may be alarmist (remember the weather forecast for 9 inches of snow at Coe???) but maybe you can check this out? It sounds like you can get a little ways in to Wilson Valley on the Judge Davis trail before you hit Cache Creek, but if the above is accurate, we might not be able to cross Cache Creek in winter from the west on the Redbud trail, even if the south fork is crossable at Baton Flat.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Woot! Woot! Wilson was my suggestion on that little form thingy!

Some tidbits…

– Is it really 3-4 hours more of a drive? It's closer to I-5, which should make access faster for a lot of people in socal…

– I doubt that there is camping at the trailhead. Don't remember. There is a large group capable campground on the road, down the river though.

– I've also heard of the dam release flow problem in Cache Creek. Don't know enough about it though.

This is a year away. I'm not ready to delve into this thread. Plan something sooner?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

7 month warning.

What? BPL annual extravaganza

When? February 17-19 Presidents' Day Weekend.

Where? HENRY COE STATE PARK
    Who? BPLr's and their ilk

Why? Because it's so dang fun!

Comment? Feel free.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Well Damn. With that much of a warning, there's really no reason I can't make this one. Perhaps with another bottle of Japanese Scotch….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

That'll make you a repeat offender. Our numbers are growing…

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Then I will be a 4 time repeater…………..nice!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I want to see if canoeing in to the campsite is feasible!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools