Topic

Help me pick a rain jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me pick a rain jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jake Willits
    BPL Member

@trailsavvy

Locale: Arkansas Ozarks

I have one of the BC200 jackets(2010). It's a size L-reg length. I'm almost 6' and weigh 220 with a 21" torso. It's a tad short. I am very impressed with the shell. I wore it in a 35 degree sustained all day rain on a trip in November on the Ozark Highlands Trail. It worked fantastic. Welded seams and rubberized zipper are sturdy. Oversized helmet hood allows a Grim Reaper look, keeping diagonal rain out of your eyes. Nothing got thru, and it seemed to breath well. Mine weighs 11oz. There is no zip vents, but it seemed to do very well otherwise. The only thing stopping me from giving it a more in depth review is that I haven't seem what it will do for a warm weather storm, when I NEED it to breathe. Hope this helps.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I have a current excel spread sheet of most if not all of the current lightweight offerings in the US. It includes the feature set of each jacket as in pit zips, pockets, and their locations. However it will not format correctly if I cut and paste but if you send me your email via PM I will forward it to you.

Jeff

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Based on Jeff's excellent spreadsheet he sent me I have found some new and interesting choices. I decided I would be willing to sacrifice a bit on weight for a durable jacket with a good feature set. The plus side is that all of these are helmet compatible. The Patagonia is by far the most expensive. I am wondering if it is worth what they want for it? I would love to hear first hand experience with any of these:

Eddie Bauer BC-200 – 10.6 oz. – Weatheredge Pro
    Westcomb Specter LT hoodie – 11 oz. – eVent
    Patagonia M10 – 11.4 oz. – H2NO
    Rab Momentum – 12 oz. – eVent

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you're a medium I have a Montbell Peak in very good condition.

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

If you're willing to wait, montane new lineups seem pretty light. Montane Spektr (7.4oz) in eVent, or Montane Minimus (7.6oz) in Pertex Shield.

James Wyse
    BPL Member

@ravelyn

Locale: The Crossroads of the Revolution

I also have a First Ascent BC-200 jacket and am very pleased with it. I've worn it on several trips where we had extended rain while hiking and it performed well, in my opinion. And I felt no particular need for pit zips, which have always been a pain for me to use anyway.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I'm also liking my BC200. I've only used it in the winter and fall so far, using it for ~200 miles of hiking and a small amount of snowshoeing. I was a little concerned about the lack of pitzips or mesh lined core pockets, but so far so good. Material breathes pretty well in my experience. I like the weight and features for the cost of the jacket enough that I'd consider putting in pit zips rather than find something new if summer comes and I decide I need something with pit zips. I'm guessing I won't end up needing to do that, as I'm hoping to get away with a light windshirt as much has I can this summer.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools