Topic

Short, wide ti cup?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Short, wide ti cup?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris markley

@motorapido

I'm seeking a short, wide titanium cup to use on my varga titanium triad stove. My current 475 ml titanium cup from Mountain Laurel Designs is 82mm in diameter, but that is a bit too narrow. the flames shoot up the sides and I have to trap them with a rigged aluminum foil screen. I don't need more mug volume. I just need more diameter. Anybody know of a single wall ultra light lidless handless titanium mug with a diameter greater than 82mm? I think the Snow Peak mugs even in the 600ml capacity are still the same narrow diameter. Somebody surely makes a short, wide titanium mug. Help!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

First of all, there is a thing called a titanium companion cup. It is shorter and wider than a normal titanium mug, but only about 12 ounce capacity, as I recall.

If you can't solve the problem that way, you could look for an alternative stove.

I was fooling around with the same problem the other night. I also wanted to rig up a metal foil screen around the burner. I mistakenly grabbed a piece of aluminum for that, and of course it failed miserably. Then I grabbed a piece of titanium foil, and it seemed to work fine. The titanium heats up until it is red-hot, and it seems to hold a bend after that.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Check out the Evernew Ti ultralight 600ml wide pot… it has handles but those are easily remedied by removing them if you wanted to. The short and wide 600 will be more efficient for boils.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

The Tibetan Titanium 550 almost fits the bill, but it does have folding handles. 94mm diameter, 78g weight plus another 14g if you carry the lid, 500ml capacity.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

… you could get a light plastic cup and an aluminum pot (anodized or ceramic coated)with far better burner heat dispersion than Ti. Trail designs sells the pots, K-Mart and Wally Mart the cups. Then you have more versatility in your cookware.

Weight difference between the cup & pot combo and Ti "mug" is nil.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools