Topic

Best Camping Pillow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Camping Pillow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

my buddy has and likes this for hammocking:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Pillow.htm

Guy Sanders

@coloradowalt

Locale: Southeast

I second or third the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow. Picked one up last week and used it on a 3 day float trip on the Suwannee River last weekend. Blow if full, then let out a bit of air. Slept like a log!

Shane Shin

@melhousen

I love my Montbell UL Comfort System pillow. It cradles my head so I don't roll off. In fact I use the whole system with the attachable sleeping pad for my body and sitpad for my feet.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I've tried a few, none have been ideal. For whatever reason the Thermarest has been the one that has worked best for me, and unfortunately it's one of the heavier ones. The GG stuff sack pillows are nice IF you're carrying enough clothing to make a decent pillow… usually I'm wearing most of the clothing that I packed. REI carries some of the options mentioned, if you have a local store head over there and try em out.

If you're thinking you want the Kookabay, don't worry about Bender – he's a good guy. Do allow for enough lead time that you're not in a jam if delivery is a little behind though (as with any small manufacturer doing made to order).

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Thermarest — compresses during the night (did not pass the better half test)

Big Agnes (air with foam pad) — heavy and not very thick, maybe three inches (another failure)

Ultralight Designs — good on thickness for side sleepers. Less than one ounce and literally zero pack size. Untested, but I think this one will win.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

My technique is to slide my shoes user my 3/4 length prolite and then stuff my rain jacket into aTurtleFur fleece neck gaiter. The shoes elevate my head and the rain jacket (low volume) gives me something soft and squishy to rest my head on :)

Total extra weight carried: 0 oz!

simon hackett

@minimalgear

Locale: UK

I've also used the nightlight-I wrap a length of shockcord around it to keep it folded. The nightlight is my sit mat and FBC cosy (Wrap the shockcord to hold the mat around the bag) The shock cord is also my poncho belt. If I'm not wearing my down jacket I wrap it around the pillow for extra comfort.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I also do the shoe pillow method, shoes under mat soles down to elevate the head and anything soft on top but the old synmat felt ok on it own mostly I just need my head at the right angle for my neck. Im going to a new pad combo and plan to have my head hanging over the mat. Ive been playing with my old 12oz 72" ridgerest folded in half for more cush, vapor trail under the legs then my new pillow will be my sea to summit shower bag with shoes inside and rain gear stuffed over shoes just right then tied with a couple cords to the ridge rest. The sea to summit bag while heavy at 4 oz is multipurpose as a dry bag stuff sack for sleeping bag and clothes, watercarrier at camp and of course a shower. Now I need a lighter version of the shower bag I saw one somewhere on here or another site someone made one out of I think cuban But so far I have not been much on MYOG…yet

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Another + for the Cocoon Hyperlight. I have used a number of pillows in the past few years in search of something perfect, and I am certain this is as close as I'll get. Great balance of UL and comfort. Just enough polyfill to mask the sense that you're resting your head on an airbag. My only qualm with it is the feel of the material on my skin, so I usually wrap it in a shirt if I have a spare.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Thermarest makes a pillow case. it's soft, somewhat large, and is light. i shove stuff sacks, clothes, and whatever else i think is somewhat soft into it and that seems to be the best solution i've come up with. that roll up Thermarest pillow – ugh. flattens way to easily.

Sinead Duggan

@sineadd

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Shoe Pillow for me too. I have a short length of string that holds my pad rolled up in my pack, I use that to hold my shoes together, oriented like laying in a shoebox. That goes under the head of my inflatable mat.
    I've also carried a small (12×12?) square of fabric to wrap around the shoes if they're muddy or wet.

It's not my temper-foam pillow from home, but the string I bring anyway, and the nylon square weighs maybe 5 grams. The biggest benefit for me is that it ensures I didn't leave my boots out to get wet and/or chewed on by rodents. I'd like to believe that a small amount of warmth transfers to them, drying and warming them for the next day. Probably wishful thinking.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I've been using the Klymit Cush pillow recently, and really like it. Very adaptable for height, and the ear space works great. I've even used it at home in bed – my wife thinks I'm crazy, but that's nothing new!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Like NickB described above, I have a GG sit pad in my Gorilla or Murmur packs. I take it out and roll it loosely or fold in thirds and secure it with a small DIY Velcro strap that I also use to wrap around my NeoAir pad in my pack. This makes a very acceptable pillow for essentially no weight penalty. If I'm not wearing my Possumdown beanie, I do put something on top so it's not bare skin applied to evazote. I have done this for as long as GG has made the pads for their packs.

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Have tried a lot of pillows, and as a side sleeper who likes a high pillow the new UL by expel is mighty nice. Using these vs the thermarest compressibles(prev item_ will make weight-bearing and space-occupying life a bit simpler.
    Sam.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I have a MontBell inflatable pillow that I bought at a garage sale 3 years ago. I don't know if it is the same one they sell now. For me a pillow is a necessity because I have wide shoulders and am a side sleeper. If I don't prop up my head somehow, I get a crick in my neck that ruins my trip. I can't always depend on clothing in a stuff sack because sometimes I am wearing all my clothing in the sleeping bag. I like the MontBell, it keeps my head more or less in line with my spine, and the only issue in that sometimes it slides off my pad.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

> I like the MontBell, it keeps my head more or less in line with my spine, and the only issue in that sometimes it slides off my pad.

John,

What pad are you using? If it's foam, drill some holes as pillow attachment points. If it's an inflatable, use Tenacious Tape (from REI) to make toggle attachment points. See the photo and thread below for more info.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62842&skip_to_post=537532#537532

asdf

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I tried a few and the Exped won out. It could be made lighter, but the material has a pretty nice feel against your skin, is pretty quiet, and has a give to it that doesn't make it too bouncy.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Have you considered a Graham Medical FlexAir pillow?

0.56 oz, super light

$ 0.75, Super cheap … they can be bought individually at:

http://www.amazon.com/FlexAir-Pillow-Small-14-5-10-5/dp/B004C2RKHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339043927&sr=8-3

I prefer mine placed inside a buff, and they have worked great for me – plus, they have proved to be durable enough (YMMV)

Here is a thread on them:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=3957

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools