Topic

Best Camping Pillow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Camping Pillow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Alright gentleman, I've tried the stuff sack with clothes route and there just has to be something better. Sleep is too important to me not sleep well.

So far I've looked at Kookabay but am a bit concerned with some "problems" that seem to be floating around Bender. And I don't really need anything custom and exotic. I've also looked at Thermarest, POE, Big Agnes and others. Right now I'm leaning towards the Mont Bell UL Comfort series pillow. Any other options that I need to think about?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

My current favorites are the Montbell UL as you mentioned, and also the Exped UL pillow. Heres a quick comparison of the two

*The exped is heavier at 3oz

*the exped has a very nice "brushed-feeling" surface fabric—its very skin friendly and comfortable

*The exped has 2 valves–1 for inflation and 1 for deflation–probably explains the difference in weight compared to the montbell

*The exped inflates/deflates a LOT faster than the montbell

*The montbell, has two vertical support beams, cradling your head. This works great for people who sleep on their back

*the exped has two horizontal support beams, which makes neck support awesome, but doesn't cradle your head from rocking side to side as well as the montbell

*the exped is specifically built for backsleepers AND side sleepers. When viewing the pillow from the side, its kind of "ramp" shaped, so you sleep on the higher end if you like sleeping on your side (more neck support)

*I think the exped is quieter than the montbell.

I recently acquired the exped, and need to test it more, but I've had great sleep with the montbell pillow in the past

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nope. Get the MontBell. It's a great mix of comfort and very light weight.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow has microfleece on one side, ripstop nylon on the other, with an air core and polyester fill around the core. 3.9oz with the stuff sack.

http://www.rei.com/product/766035

They make a 2.4oz "Hyperlite" version that is ripstop on both sides.

http://www.rei.com/product/799192

The MontBell is okay, but it will squirt out from under your head if not tied into the pad as designed.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

If you're insistent upon an UL pillow, go with the Granite Gear stuff sack with fleece on one side.

But, really, if you're gonna take a pillow, go big. The Nemo Fillow is the bee's knees.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I don't think it exists. If I could find a good pillow then I would not have to hear about the crappy pillow problem.

The thermarest that wraps up on itself just flattens in an hour.
    I found another one which inflates and has memory foam.
    Heavy, but I am not carrying it. Another failure. Another disappointment.

Anything that packs well will flatten when you use it. I have not seen an air pillow that inflates to the depth of a bed pillow.

Forget the pillow. Take two shots and turn in.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

big agnes clearview pillow

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

haha along the same lines as what Tim said….the best pillow for me is two 3mg tablets of melatonin. Knocks you out!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Nemo Fillow! 10.8 ounces? This is more than half the weight of my bag. And it does not keep you warm.

A week before you go on your trip, don't sleep with a pillow. Then you won't notice it.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

+1 for the Granite Gear Pillowsack….

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Heavier than what most you like(5.5oz) but if I have a bad pillow(side sleeper) I'm a wreck to so who cares about the 2oz's. There is an oz/snooze joke in there somewhere.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/249000310_v_3107_42x22cm/Ajungilak+SoftSkin+Pillow.html

It's got foam or something in there that makes it supportive with the air. Plus the material is very nice against the skin. Which is really important on sweaty nights.

I can use a less substantial pillow in the hammock and save the weight. I'm going to try the Exped UL for the hammock.

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I've tried the evening drink and it never works like I plan. Same goes for the fleece stuff sacks. I don't bring enough clothes anymore to really work with that. And it never worked that well to begin with.

I've tried other sleep aids and never been too happy with them. They either don't work or work way to well, and then I feel the effects 12 hours afterwards. Plus, the idea of messing with my hormones doesn't seem well planned to me.

I think he was (kinda) kidding about the Nemo. I hope. Although it does look really comfortable.

Plenty to think about with the other options, I like the look of the cocoon ones, have to check those out.

Logan Spader

@___o2

Locale: .

Exped Air Pillow. I'm a side sleeper and I have no idea how I got along without it. It is worth every single penny that I paid for it. I will never ever go backpacking without it.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

The snoring bear pillow by arrowhead equipment has worked wonders for me. Its a little heavier @ around 5 oz. but is super comfy and its insulated. Way better than the inflatables i've tried.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>I think he was (kinda) kidding about the Nemo. I hope. Although it does look really comfortable.

Dude, the Fillo has memory foam in it! That's not a joking matter.

There's no such thing as an UL pillow. Just lame, frustrating half measures. If you want a pillow, carry the weight of the Fillo secure in the knowledge that you have, in fact, a pillow and not an over glorified balloon. Otherwise, use your pack, or socks, or Platy, or elbow, or rocks, or bark. Whatever. Better yet, be a masochist and don't use anything.

Just don't say you want an UL pillow. Next thing you know, you'll want someone to show up and pitch your tent and put a chocolate on your UL pillow before you turn in at night. At which point I think you should just stay in bed at home full stop.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

+1 on the Arrowhead snoring bear pillow. Wonderful in the backcountry, and worth the weight, IMO. I use the smaller one in my hammock, the larger one when ground dwelling.

Will Webster

@willweb

I seem to be in the minority here, but this winter I've really been enjoying my 0.7 ounce Kookabay pillow. I sart with my shell in a stuff sack for some extra height (my pads don't extend past my shoulders), then slide my Smartwool neck gaiter over the partially inflated pillow and put it inside the bag's hood. Glorified plastic bag? Maybe, but it works fine for me.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I like them. I've been using one for years as a travel pillow and it hasn't flattened on me. Proper care with a wash and a trip through the dryer after every trip restores full fluffiness. If it's been packed for some time, you need to undo it a while before bedtime and let it refluff.

They are very obviously not UL, but worth it to me.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I use the Cocoon Hyperlite Pillow and LOVE it. I'm a stomach/side sleeper who is a bit restless and the pillow serves my needs. 2-3 puffs of air and you have a perfect pillow at 2.3oz. A little expensive at $28 but well worth it.

http://www.rei.com/product/799192

Logan Spader

@___o2

Locale: .

I see a pillow as a necessity. Pretty much anyone on these forums could survive a night without their sleeping bag but they wouldn't sleep well (if at all). The same thing goes for me and my pillow, I could make it through the night but in the morning I will have a sore shoulder and my neck will be cramped from not laying inline with my spine. Three ounces is totally worth a good nights sleeps to me. And I forgot to say that I chose the Exped pillow because it was the tallest pillow on the market that I could find. It also varies in height from one side to the other so you can adjust if needed.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

fleece stuff sack which is filled with a high loft down or synthetic garment on top, and whatever I have that isn't too hard on the bottom to fill out the volume. I typically bring one more clothing layer than I need to sleep comfortably. If it is surprisingly cold I lose my soft pillow, but I am warm enough.

–Mark

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

FWIW Cut Bender some slack. I challenge anyone to open, run and grow a cottage gear industry as Bender is doing and not run into problems if your products take off in demand. If you have watched this forum closely you will have noticed that the demand for his gear has increased while his ability to keep up with this demand was the only real issue. His subsequent "open apology" and efforts to fill orders and handle any other issues should put this to rest.

That said, I use Bender's Kookalight Pillow.

Kookalight pillow

It is supportive, extremely packable and light in weight, 1.3 ounces. I keep it in a MYOG pillow case while packed and in use.

Kookalight pillow in MYOG pillowcase deflated

The firmness of the pillow and its support are easily adjusted by how much it is inflated.

Face side of MYOG pillowcase

The total weight of the pillow and case adds up to 2 ounces.

MYOG pillowcase bottom side

My pillow has served me well. I highly recommend it as part of your sleeping gear.

Party On,

Newton

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I have tried 3-4 different styles of inflatable pillow because of the weight advantage. They all turn hard as a rock no matter how much air I put in them. So, I made my own pillow with microsuede on one side, 1.1 uncoated nylon on the other. I used a part silk, part synthetic fill which packs up fairly small and offers a lot of cushiony support. Comes in at 4 ounces and I wouldn't trade it for gold. Well, maybe gold.

Ryan

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I suspect, that like so much of our gear, the "best" camping pillow, is a personal thing. What works for one, might not work for others.

With that said, I've had it with the cheap inflatable hospital-type pillows. Likewise, I can't get a good night's sleep on a stuff sack filled with any extra clothes. Limited experiments with other inflatable pillows have left me still looking for a simple solution that' comfy and will stay put under my head.

On this last Saturday night, desperate to find a solution that would let me comfortably sleep, I pushed my clothes-filled stuff sack out of the way and folded my sit pad (a piece of the GG nightlight pads) into thirds, placed it under my head, and proceeded to sleep great the rest of the night! The pad didn't slide around at all (as I go from side to side to back to stomach and so on) and provided enough cushion (I like firm pillows) and height that I could finally get comfy and get a good night's sleep.

I think I'll continue to experiment with this and see how it goes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools