Topic

Steripen Traveler?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen Traveler?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Does anyone have experience with this model? The specs look identical to the Adventurer and I'm wondering if there's really a difference. The traveler is significantly cheaper. I'd really like to hold out for the Freedom this summer but the Traveler can be had on STP for $35 with a coupon…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The specs are not identical, the difference being UV lamp life.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

it looks very appealing to me, as it would cut my steripen weight in half. however i'm hesitant to pull the trigger b/c of the shorter bulb length. would this be an issue treating water in a full 1 L nalgene? if a couple people say no, then please PM me the coupon code and i'm going to buy it

Troy Childs

@tchilds

It comes down to personal preference.

I would go with the $35 option for the weekend warrior. There is little benefit to the lighter model if you're going on an extended trip or through hike.

Keep in mind a full blown adventurer is only going to treat about 2,000 treatments worst case scenario. If you're constantly treating turbid water then there is definitely no advantage to the lighter model even at $35 except immediate weight savings.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I own an Adventurer and I've been using it for a few years now without any problems (one 7-month RTW and one 2-month Southeast Asia trip). The Adventurer and the Traveler Mini are identical in usage and effectiveness. Unless you are particularly enamored by the "opti" — I would suggest getting whichever one is cheaper. Again, "same same" usage and effectiveness.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Cosmetic only.

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Opti, Roger, Opti! :)

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Very "Special Ops" of you, Ben.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ben

Oops, I missed the 'mini' bit. The Traveler Mini is NOT the same as the Traveler. I suspect the Mini is meant for hotel use – making a glass of water suitable for cleaning your teeth… It is only set up to do 0.5 L.

But you are right – I like the Opti.

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Roger:

The Mini also has the option of treating either 0.5L or 1L of water at a time. Excluding pure cosmetic changes:

o current model Adventurer = old Adventurer with opti sensor replacing metallic sensor

o Traveler Mini = old Adventurer rebranded

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I found the adventurer opti for $62 and it sounds like the Opti is enough of an improvement over the Traveler mini/adventurer to make it worth the extra $$$. Looks like there're some of the Traveler minis on ebay for ~$35 also if anyone is interested.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have the old Adventurer W/ metal water sensors. I'll use that sucker 'til it craps out. By then there will be even better UV pens.

On most trips I use it 2 or 3 times a day for 90 seconds each time for bike bottle water for electrolyte drinks. I love the speed of it. Micropur chlorine dioxide tabs are for my hydration bladder. I refill it every night and the tabs have all night to work.

UPDATE: Aaarrggghhh! In a Senior Moment this past September I left my old Adventurer at a remote spring by a well-used trail in the mountains near Las Vegas. There's NO chance it would have been still there two weeks later, when I discovered the loss. Now I have to get a new one, so it's going to be the "Opti" Adventurer – with my name and phone # on it!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

At the risk of beating this tired thread even more…

I am curious what practical advantage the opti has over a metal sensor — in terms of water treatment ease of use and effectiveness? For me, I am not must interested in using it as a LED light since I always carry a separate light. I too have the old Adventurer.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

"I am curious what practical advantage the opti has over a metal sensor — in terms of water treatment ease of use and effectiveness? For me, I am not must interested in using it as a LED light since I always carry a separate light. I too have the old Adventurer."

The metal electrodes rely on a charge carried between to the two terminals through the water. If your water is too clean — i.e., free of minerals or whatever it is that allows water to be conductive (someone who knows physics help me out here), it won't register that it's in water. You can remedy this by sprinkling a little salt or drink mix into the water before treating, but who wants to do that? The opti uses an optical sensor to know it is in water, and it works with "clean" and "dirty" water alike. Plus, I think the electronics on the opti are improved so it doesn't drain the battery as much when off as does the regular adventurer.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I am not an electronics expert. But I understand about ionization. Clean water can act as described depending on the sensitivity of the sensor…the two metal plates. This is really not the common cause of failure, I don't believe. I'm not very well versed on the sensors in the adventuror, though. It could be true, though. I'm sure that a higher electrical drain will keep stuff warmer. So, a little salt will help, but not for the reason cited. The sensor should allow operation with most any ground water. I have not tested it, but distilled water will likely work.

More likely is the temperature of the water. The heat traveling out of the electronics will have a rather negative effect on it's operation. Near freezing, you might not get a complete cycle. The heat generated from the circut may not keep up with the heat lost, soo, at low temps, it will not turn on or dies early. This HAS happened to me. Switching out to new batteries did not help. It starts, runs fine for a few seconds and dies with a red sensor light. The batteries were kept in my pants pocket, so, it was not cold batteries. But, the water source was at 32F (it had some ice in it.) Not conclusive, but, highly likely that it got cold during the treatment and turned off as if it was removed from the water, due to the low current draw induced by the low temp. The metal conducts heat away from the electronics far more efficiently than the optical sensor of the Opti.

Anyway, when I got back, everything worked fine, even the old batteries. The water was much warmer, too.

Soo, offhand, I would say that the Opti has a couple distinct advantages.
    1) Less idle current draw. Sort of irrelavent, just flip the top battery to kill all current drain, Opti or Adventurer.
    2) Optical senser. This makes it immune to the effects of intermittant failures. However, the lamp output may vary with temperture. Keep it in a warm pocket about 15min before using it. This is easy, since you have to get the batteries warm, anyway.

With the 600ml bottles I use, I keep it in my pocket between uses in colder weather. Note that most chemicals don't work that well in water below 40F, either. The speed advantage remains. But, if the gadget gets cold, you could end up with a dead unit again.

Like anything with batteries, camera, cell phones, SPOT, GPS, readers, etc, you cannot let them get much below 50F and expect 100% of normal operation. More than the batteries, the actual semi-conductors can be adversly effected.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

OK, so I see something on STP advertised as a "SteriPEN Traveler Mini OPTI UV Water Purifier".

This would, I take it, have the better sensor and the better battery life, yes? But since it's a "mini" it would have a little bit shorter bulb life. Have I got that right?

HJ

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jim:

I am confused. Against which model are you comparing the Traveler Mini to… in terms of battery life and bulb life?

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Oh, duh, sorry, Ben.

In terms of battery life, I'm comparing the Opti version to pre-Opti versions. Based on the BPL review, supposedly Steripen has correct the high drain that used to require people to take the batteries out when not in use.

In terms of bulb life, I'm comparing the mini version to non-mini versions. My understanding is that on the mini versions the bulb's life expectancy is shorter.

Did you see the link I posted? What do you think of that particular model? Thinking about picking one up. Don't like chemical taste, and filtering can be a hassle.

HJ

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

James Marco wrote, "Soo, offhand, I would say that the Opti has a couple distinct advantages.
    1) Less idle current draw. Sort of irrelavent, just flip the top battery to kill all current drain, Opti or Adventurer.
    2) Optical senser. This makes it immune to the effects of intermittant failures. However, the lamp output may vary with temperture. Keep it in a warm pocket about 15min before using it. This is easy, since you have to get the batteries warm, anyway."

Questions for James:

1. Less idle current draw compared to the old Adventurer? Can you point to a link or is this something told to you directly by the manufacturer?

2. Optical sensor makes the unit immune to the effects of intermittent failures? Is this from your own experience? What "intermittent failures" are you referring to?

3. Lamp output may vary with temperature. Again, can you point to a source? I ask because the manufacturer directions don't point to different treatment times for different temperatures! In any case, since water freezes at a relatively balmy temperature of 32F — we don't really need to worry about using the Steripen in temps colder than that.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Ben,

The BPL review of the Opti does state that the battery drain is significantly reduced.

HJ

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jim:

I have the Adventurer – non Opti – which I purchased 2-3 years ago. I NEVER take out the batteries in-between uses. There is no noticeable drain even after 3-4 months of storage. I too have read from one poster about the need to take out the batteries… I really think he either got a lemon or that was a problem fixed very early on.

The lamp life — est. at 8,000 treatments — is the same for all "outdoor" models — Classic, Adventurer and Journey — see comparison chart here.

The lamp life — est. at 3,000 treatments — is the same for all "traveler" models — Classic and Mini — see comparison chart here.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Ben,

Cool chart! It appears that none of the "mini" versions are listed on the chart. Am I reading that chart correctly? It's the mini versions that supposedly have a shorter bulb life.

Gotta crash. Ciao,

HJ

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The second chart ("Traveler") shows the mini. But both regular (taking 4AA's) and Mini (taking 2 CR 123's) show the same bulb life — 3,000 — which compares unfavorably to the "outdoor" series' 8,000 bulb life.

My take? I would choose the "outdoor" series over the "traveler" series. I like 8,000 better than 3,000. And within the "outdoor" series, I would get the Adventurer Opti — unless I happen to find an old model Adventurer at a good discount… After all, mine is the old model, and it works flawlessly. As written before, I've taken mine on two trips that lasted 7 months and 2 months respectively. It's pretty darn dependable.

Hope this helps. Nighty night.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"1. Less idle current draw compared to the old Adventurer? Can you point to a link or is this something told to you directly by the manufacturer?"
    This was from the BPL review, the manufacturers spec sheet and my own experience. It will flatten a set of batteries in about a week with no uses on it. Just flipping one battery over stops the drain.

"2. Optical sensor makes the unit immune to the effects of intermittent failures? Is this from your own experience? What "intermittent failures" are you referring to?"
    From my own experiences with it, I have had failures with water taken from streams with ice in them. This *usually* means between 33-34F temps for a free flowing stream. It failed about halfway through the second bottle on two separate occasions. Yet, after coming home, it worked fine in the bottle. Same water, different temp. Temperature was the only thing that looked to be effecting the operation. But, it was about 0F outside, too. Even though I keep the gadget in my pocket, it could have gotten cold. But, usually, in operation, it generates enough heat to keep things warm. Soo, I assume it was conduction through the gadget. Plastic is a fair insulator. So the metal sensors are the parts I was focusing on as the major heat loss points. I don't have an Opti yet, at least till the first generation Adventurer quits.

"3. Lamp output may vary with temperature. Again, can you point to a source? I ask because the manufacturer directions don't point to different treatment times for different temperatures! In any case, since water freezes at a relatively balmy temperature of 32F — we don't really need to worry about using the Steripen in temps colder than that."
    The lamp has a hesitation, a *slow* start at 40F and below that you can see. This undoubtedly effects output. Actually, from many fishing trips (for winter run steelhead) running water never gets quite that low. The lowest I ever noted it was 32.8F on the Salmon River at -22F air temp. Usually the flowing water with ice in it is closer to 33-34F. The electronics in the gadget *may* compensate for the reduced output. I don't know.

Anyway, battery longevity can be increased by flipping the top battery. All electronic devices need to detect a change for something to happen. So, a small amount of current is allowed to flow…if this is momentarily broken, a status change is detected and acted upon.
    They cannot detect a change from nothing too nothing. IEEE logic. Pressing the switch harder or other mechanical means, does not usually work with these, unless the contacts are dirty.

Most electronics are designed to function at "room" temperature. Lowering the temp of a semiconductor can cause it to fail, or, intermittently activate as it holds some charge from a previous attempt, often circuit capacitance. I *think* the Adventurer has a lockout, though. You need to reset it by releasing the batteries, then clamping them back in. At least, multiple pressing has never worked on it for me, once the red light has lit.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Ben,

Thanks for putting up that second chart. Yeah, the Mini isn't looking as good with less than half the bulb life. Still, if they give me a really good discount…

Thanks again,

HJ

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools