Topic

Interesting new water purification option coming to the market

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Interesting new water purification option coming to the market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I stumbled onto this video of OmniPure's new filtration device that looks promising. Unfortunately, no specific claims or testing yet. If it is as good as the founder alludes to, it might be really interesting for backcountry use.

Lawrence Honikel

@dhonikel

Looks like they have more info here including a link to their website…no purchasing/pricing info that I could find though…

OsmoPure Facebook Page

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Yeah, wait for the details. For me it's initially falling into the "too good to be true" category with that video marketing spin.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hmmm… won't clog in even the most turbulent water? Just shake in dirty water to clean out the filter? Nice — if true.

My guess is this filter is probably good for blocking protozoa — but maybe not bacteria — or viruses.

But I too look forward to more details.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

NO specs.
    No mention of EPA ratings.

Hum …

Cheers

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It looks like more a filtration device than a purifier. The product description shows a membrane (but doesn't mention any iodine or chlorine addition) and then an optional carbon core. The Katydyn My Bottle purifier has iodine in the cartridge as the purifier.

However, if it filters water and uses existing plastic bottles and is inexpensive, then the product could be a real boon to some parts of our planet in desperate need of clean(er) water.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

The name OsmoPure implies it uses an RO process, which is capable of removing all contaminants from water…

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I remember seeing a documentary about someone developing a simple clean water system for 3rd world countries. I wish I could remember the details but it may be this they were developing.

I found a little more info.

http://www.backslashonline.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=384:green-entrepreneurs-osmopure&Itemid=41

http://bostinnovation.com/2010/11/23/osmopure-bringing-clean-water-to-the-world/?isalt=0

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

reverse osmosis requires high pressure to get through very small pore size

and some of the water flow goes to waste, this water will have higher concentration of the contaminants you're trying to filter out

this is obviously what's not happening

"osmo" must just be a marketing term

kind of leads one to question the product as a whole

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I remember reading somewhere – Scientific American or some alumni newspaper or ???

Activated carbon in a teabag

The Protozoa, bacteria, and viruses get caught up in the pores of the activated carbon

intended for third world, pennies per bag

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>this is obviously what's not happening

>>"osmo" must just be a marketing term

From twitter:
    RPI Osmopure (submitted an e-team grant) reverse osmosis water filtration system for the developing world.

Being familiar with RPI's incubator program, I tend to believe it is not just a marketing term but a real application of RO technology. Also, plenty of references to membrane filtration technology in other articles on OsmoPure. We'll just have to wait and see…

In osmosis/reverse osmosis aren't waste and pressure are related to pore size and concentration on either side of the membrane. Of course, I'll admit it's been 25 years since I studied the process…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Okay, maybe you're right

Reverse osmosis filter for treating water for like making integrated circuits is what I was talking about, obviously not practical for hiking filter

But maybe you can use the technology for a lightweight filter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools