Topic

Any idea where to get a new one of these?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any idea where to get a new one of these?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

So the bottle I use to hold fuel is perfect because it holds a decent amount and fits inside my cut down fostors can pot. However it leaks a little and I would like to get a new one to prevent losing fuel. Any ideas where I can find another one of these bottles? Or anything else that might work just as well? Thanks

bottle

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"However it leaks a little "
    if that is from the screw on top, try using thread seal tape (Teflon plumbers tape)
    Franco

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Hi Derek,

It looks like the cap screws on. If so, and the cap itself isn't cracked, have you tried plumber's teflon tape on the bottle threads to secure the leak? May have to experiment a little with required # of 'layers' but you'll still be able to use your favorite container.

As for alternate item; what about the thin plastic containers sold at REI & by Coughlan's?

Like this from REI: http://www.rei.com/product/402055 (4" tall, 4oz capacity, weighs 0.9oz)

Or this: http://www.rei.com/product/402054 (5" tall, 8 oz capacity, weighs 1.0 oz)

edit: nm

Good luck!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Often-times these bottle threads are not continuous (to allow for fast machine seating).

One option to make it leakproof is to find an 'O-ring' at your local hardware store that would fit into the seating groove in the top of the cap. Compression will take care of the leak.

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Locale: Eastern Wyoming

Wait until around Christmas time…last year Coke sold bottles like this to look like Christmas ornaments.

Chris

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

FYI to all, bottles are not intended to seal via the threads (re the teflon tape advice), the top of the cap itself either seats into the top of the neck of the bottle, or against the top face of the rim. Leaks are generally due to the cap seal being nicked, or a burr on the interior of the top of the inner rim of the bottle, or top face of the rim. If there is no burs, dents, splits, etc in the rim of the bottle, replacing the cap should stop the leak.

The other thing, that appears to be one of the round coke bottles, but the cap looks to be from a smart water bottle or similar. Is it possible you have a cap/bottle mismatch, and returning the proper cap to the bottle would fix it?

That might be the easy fix attempt, go buy a bottle of coke, and stick the cap on that bottle, and see if it still leaks.

Craig Kowalski

@killerkowalski

Correct. The Las Vages strip Coke store has them. They might be able to ship it.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Another replacement possibility…?
    Perhaps a gourmet/specialty oil or vinegar container?

Derek, Is there a height restriction and/or volume requirement you have for a replacement item?

I've used the o-ring – in – the – cap trick before. Worked out well. Just be sure it fits tight into the cap so it doesn't drop out in the dark one night.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Thanks for the input everyone. I don't think it is one of the coke bottles, I think they are larger. I will look into the teflon tape and o-ring possibilities though. Perhaps they will work or I can try some other caps. Maybe it's a common size. Thanks though and hopefully with your input I will figure it out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools