Topic

waterproof breathable for long skirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear waterproof breathable for long skirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

OK, so this floated back into my "so brilliant why isn't it done" list… a long skirt, waterproof/breathable, pleats or a full length wrap with snaps/velcro. It's just smarter rainwear for women. I only wish I could wear it and not look… odd. What material should I look at? I think we're going to sew up a pair for the girls on our South America trip.

cheers,
    -Michael

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I think that in this case wp/b fabrics won't help. A skirt is so well ventilating that there would be little difference in temperature and humidity across the fabrics, so it won't work.

If I was going to make a skirt, I would make it from light waterproof fabrics, but add a strip of a mesh on top where a jacket is worn over it to improve the ventilation.

I use silnylon chaps that are open on top and they work as good as wp/b pants.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Good point Jan. I've liked the idea of chaps instead of pants. I'm going to pickup a 3/4 length DriDuck to test the exposure on chaps and the skirt with mesh upper.

cheers,
    -Michael

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I think the best way how to start is to check the coverage of the rain jacket you're going to use. Many are not long enough to work with chaps or such a skirt. I guess that's the way the manufacturers can claim lower weight and force you to buy pants in addition. I made my jacket myself and I wanted it very long.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools