Topic

Vermilion Valley Resort (VVR) “Free” Barrel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Vermilion Valley Resort (VVR) “Free” Barrel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

My experience with the resort was awesome we went there last year so a budy could pick up a resuplly. glad we did! we were welcomed by the general manager a he told us FIRST BEER WAS FREE! that in itself is reason to go… but the boat ride cost 10 bucks one way if im not mistaken so consider that before your trip. also when i got there in late july almost august the barrels were EMPTY i put some extra food in there but i would NOT realy on them.

either way go to VVR awesome people beautiful view off the lake and ofcourse

FIRST BEERS FREE!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I realize this is an ancient thread, but you can hike to and from VVR and skip paying for the boat ride if money is a concern (and time isn't.) It's a long hike though.

I did a section hike that ended going over Bishop Pass. This was a beautiful segment through Dusy Basin. I stopped briefly at Parcher's Resort about a mile from the trailhead to take a shower and then hitch to Bishop. A JMT hiker arrived while I was there and picked up his resupply package there. So Parcher's Resort is another option if you want to try something different and take the time to see Dusy Basin and Bishop Pass. I didn't check their small store to see what they stocked. My guess is they didn't have a lot of stuff.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You should be able to hike in vs. taking the ferry.

http://www.edisonlake.com

Ferry is $11 one way and $18 round trip.

http://www.edisonlake.com/hikers/ferry

Note- Taxi service down currently, due to low water.

From their website:

Hiker's Water Taxi
    Our ferry boat, The Edison Queen, travels on the lake from approximately June 1st to October 1st depending on the back country snow conditions and our visitors requirements. It runs seven days a week with special departures upon request. The boat dock at the mouth of Mono Creek is less than a mile from the main PCT/JMT trail.

NOTE: Since the ferry was removed this season because of a low lake, hikers must hike into the resort. Signs have been posted at the trail junctions to direct hikers to the resort. We are offering JMT / PCT hikers shuttles to Bear Creek Cut-off and/or Bear Ridge trailheads for $10 / person upon leaving the resort.

When the water taxi is in the water, the following schedule applies (from approximately June through October):

Morning

9:00 am… Leave Vermilion Valley Resortâ„¢

9:45 am… Leave Mono Creek Landing

Evening

4:00 pm… Leave Vermilion Valley Resort

4:45 pm… Leave Mono Creek Landing

Fare for the water taxi is $11 per person one way, $18 round trip, and can be purchased in the general store.
    No reservations are needed.

Special Ferry runs can be arranged throughout the day. The charge is $11 per person, with a $75 minimum.

-Tony

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools