Topic

Lazy Hanger Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Lazy Hanger Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So i have an ENO doublenest hammock and have been researching suspension options and have come to the conclusion that I am too lazy to put in a whoopie sling/marlin spike system, i have switched out the stock carabiners for lighter weight ones, other than that I'm looking for a simple webbing system to hang my hammock with that I can use with the carabiners on each side. Any ideas?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I use whoopie slings with carabiners.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

I think you should take a look at the Warbonnet strap suspension system and do a myog based on that. It is a very simple suspension system that can be used with carabiners. You can get most of the MYOG from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment and if you order today you can get a facebook friday discount. Just look on his FB page for details

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Doug- Really! How does your whoopie sling system work then? How do you go from the sling to the tree?

Nathan- Thanks a ton! I looked at Paul's site and got some great MYOG ideas! Thanks again!

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Doug- Really! How does your whoopie sling system work then? How do you go from the sling to the tree?

Nathan- Thanks a ton! I looked at Paul's site and got some great MYOG ideas! Thanks again!

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Karl,

I attach the whoopie slings to the tree hugger straps with carabiners. Not the lightest system, but it works for me, and I don't have to mess around with any knots and such.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

All things considered it does not get a whole lot easier than whoopie slings. We have been making and selling them for well over a year, longer than anyone else in the whoopie sling making game. I hang on the 1.8mm dynaglide slings most of the time and there is no lighter or more compact option available. Ease of set up will rival anything else out there for hammock suspension, especially if weight plays a factor in the system(as most hangers here feel it does)

Using a carabiner to hook them to the tree strap will cost you about an ounce in weight and 15-30 seconds in set up time versus toggles on a Marlin spike hitch set up. Carabiners though are more secure though and lots of folks still use them. Either way, it is hard to beat whoopies if you want an easily adjustable suspension. Knots on a single line of rope to attach the hammock to the straps will be lighter, but take more time to set up, make adjustments and take down, but also saves several ounces.

Paul

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Paul, my brother, please take a moment and re-define the statement "…and there is no lighter or more compact option available".

I know this is mere grams v. grams, but if you count the weight savings that is 7/64 amsteel whoopies versus dynaglide, and add the weight of 6' webbing, (lightweight, polypro from strapworks) you may find that a simple exchange of webbing to 6' amsteel tree huggers is lighter.

send me about 15 feet of dynaglide so i can be sure of my findings. otherwise, it would be less scientific than I feel comfortable.

:)
    :)

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Te-wa,

Dynaglide is far and way smaller and lighter than 7/64, not as strong, but more than plenty for hangers up to 225 pounds, with my testing. And I know an hanger in the 340 ball park that has been on the same dynaglide slings for over a year now, handing every night.

Here are some comparison pics. First is a shot of 7/64 in grey amsteel V. Green dynaglide.
    Second is 14 feet of grey 7/64 amsteel
    Third is 14 feet of green 1.8mm dynaglide

amsteel V dynaglide

14 feet 7/64 amsteel

14 feet 1.8mm dynaglide

As you should be able to see the the dynaglide is about half the weight and bulk of the amsteel. So my statement of "there is no lighter or more compact option available" should be pretty clear now Mike :)

Paul

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Paul- You have inspired me to give it the college try, i am 6'5 and weigh about 225 pounds would you suggest the 7/64th amsteel whoopie slings? I think I am going to go with the tree straps to the whoopie slings via a carabiner. How is the whoopie sling attached to the hammock? My ENO has a carabiner that I switched out for a lighter BD biner that I had laying around, would one end attach to the carabiner on the hammock and the other to the carabiner with on my tree straps?

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Hey Karl,

You are right at the border of where I cut off for Dynaglide, I would probably say to go with the 7/64's as they will give you more safety margin when you add gear weight to the equation.

As for set up, no you can ditch the carabiner on the hammock and run the slings right though the channels and then girth hitch it in place so there is no extra hardware. Check out the Tutorials section on my site, The second one that covers adding a loop to the channel end hammock is what you should review. Each of the whoopie slings that we make and send out comes just like this with a fixed loop on the end of the sling for attaching to the hammock. Then all you need is the carabiner on the adjustable end and your all set.

Paul

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools