Topic

Arizona trip recommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Arizona trip recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

We're planning on heading down to AZ in mid March and looking for suggestions for a 3 or 4 day trip. I spend most of my time on the CO plateau so looking for something probably in southern AZ for a change. Looks like the Superstitions are pretty cool but are there tons of people? Sonoran Desert NM area? Chiricaua? Some degree of solitude would be nice, but some people are fine if it's an extra special place that we should see. Also interested in areas with any particularly interesting flora/fauna. Any tips would be appreciated!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

solitude, mileage and water can be found in the Supes. Just stay off the Peralta and Dutchman trails. Get the Beartooth publishing Superstitions map and/or the Hiker's Guide by Carlson/Stewart. Jack Carlson is a stand up dude and i was fortunate enough to contribute to his latest book, Hiking the Eastern Superstitions.

if you wanted solitude for sure, parts of the AZT like Picketpost to Kelvin and/or the Safford-Morenci/Aravaipa GET sections would be my choice.

follow the rabbit hole down

> http://www.hikearizona.com

Jason Malone
    Spectator

@redwood22

Locale: Santa Cruz/Scott's Valley CA

I used to live in Yuma, AZ. I'd say the southwest part of the state is a bit dry and unforgiving, but the castle dome area is pretty cool. I'm not too sure how well it would serve for backpacking, but you can do some great canoeing trips down the Colorado River down there.

Near Bisby AZ is really awesome, the apache areas.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

thanks for the great info…the hike Arizona website is super helpful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools