Topic

GG Murmur Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Murmur Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

For those who've examined or used one, tell me about the "Hydration bladder shelf" in the Murmur? I've recently started using a 3L PlatyZip with sawyer filter and mouthpiece as a hydration system. Typically carry 1-2 liters of water at a time, depending on availability.

Have you used this shelf to carry a bladder? I take it there is no attachment point and the bladder sits on top of the shelf to keep it separate from the rest of your gear. Any issues you've found with this arrangement or mods you've made?

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Steve,
    The "shelf" is just a strip of silnylon about 2" wide at the bottom of the pack which in theory would keep the bottom of a hydration bladder from slipping forward. A hydration bladder, in my opinion, takes up too much room in this pack so when I use my 2 liter zip top platy, I tuck it behind the sitlite pad in the pad sleeve. With a full load of gear, I consider this arrangement to be uncomfortable & use water bottles in the side pockets instead. There is no clip to hold the top of a hydration bladder. I only use a hydration bladder with this pack when day hiking & only then, in the manner described above.

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

Thanks James! Exactly what I wanted to know.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I put my 2L Platy in the outside right pocket and thread the hose over my right shoulder – the upper "compression straps" are used to hold the Platy upright. You can see what I mean in my avatar.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Kevin,
    That's a great idea! How do you counterbalance what could be as much as 4 lbs of weight or do you even find that to be necessary?

Dave Triano
    BPL Member

@dtriano

Locale: Desolation Wilderness

I just use two smart bottles with the Murmur, easy to reach, simple is waaaaay good. I use a bladder with the G4, works better there, 1.4l bladder is virtually invisible.
    Sometime two bottles to the left, tent on the right pocket on Murmur, leaves lots of room in the main volume.
    DT

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I don't usually carry more than 1 liter with me, but even when I have had more I haven't noticed that the pack is unbalanced. Some of it might be that I'm right-handed so carrying a little extra weight on that shoulder isn't noticed.

It works well and, if you've ever had a bladder of any kind leak in your pack, you'd really appreciate having it on the outside. It's also, obviously, much easier to fill.

Elliott Hollander
    BPL Member

@elliotth27

Locale: Georgia

I have used a 2L platy and pack it on the very top close to my back in between the closed pack liner and top roll closure. this keeps the weight higher and centered, gives gravity assist hoser drinking, and carries great for me.
    this is for the older silnylon murmur. i haven't tried the latest model yet. hope that helps!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools