Topic

MYOG Boy Scout Snow Anchors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Boy Scout Snow Anchors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DANIEL LIM

@girotrekker

Locale: Northern California

I'm thinking to make these Boy Scout snow anchors
    http://www.gec-bsa.org/program/training/adulttraining/highadventure/articles/snowdeadmen
    Pretty smart. Anyone made these and would they be good enough, should be better than grocery bags, right? I'm going to use it on a Golite Shangri-la 3, so I need to be confident that it would work and must be light as possible.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I didn't check out your link, but I think using Boy Scouts as anchors is probably against the rules.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Those are a pretty cool idea. If your goal is ultralight, then grocery sacks are going to be lighter than any fabric, bucket fragment, or stake out there. Remember Occam's razor? In this case your simplest idea is actually the cheapest and most effective.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Should be fine. Just remember that you won't be able to set them up tight until the snow firms up. So make sure that you have an adjustable length of rope on them.

DANIEL LIM

@girotrekker

Locale: Northern California

I really like the idea of grocery bags, but I'm afraid if there is a strong wind, the guyline would pull away from the bag. As to the plastic anchors, would it become brittle and break in the cold?

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

I had our Scouts bring some sticks for deadmen. Then, I did not have to worry about the Scouts leaving bags or plastic stakes in the snow. After the snow firms up, the Scouts will not remove the bags or plastic stakes (a few of the Scouts they will leave them in the snow). Then they will wonder why they do not have stakes at the next campout/backpacking trip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools