Topic

Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Havasupai Replacement Advice Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

I'm leading our Boy Scout troop to Havasupai in early April. I just found out that Havasupai is closed to visitors until May 1st due to flood damage from rains last year. I have 28 people signed up to go and now I need to find a new location.

I'm looking for ideas where I can take 20-30 scouts & adults on a 20 or so mile backpack over three days, two nights in early April. We are based in Orange County, Southern California, so it has to be within a one day drive. The Sierras and local mountains will still have lots of snow, so they're out. We've been to Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego many times. We're looking for something new. I've checked Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce and all have limits on group size much smaller than 20. Any other ideas?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Here's an idea. Death Valley.

The desert floor of Death Valley gets incredibly hot, even around April. However, there is the high country, and it goes all the way up into snow country on Telescope Peak. You could check with NPS to see what they recommend. Your whole trip would be centered on where you can find water. There are actually some large springs in the park, but you have to know where they are.

Further, many spots in Death Valley have deep history, and that could be worthwhile. I'm talking about places other than the Barker Ranch.

–B.G.–

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Peter,

you didn't mention Los Padres as one of the areas you have been often with your troop.
    There are lots of camping and backpacking options to choose from.

Manfred

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

What about going as two separate groups, to Grand Canyon?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've never been to either, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt. Maybe someone else can comment about backpacking there. Also, I'm just looking by distance, so it would be worth looking at daytime/nighttime temps for each in late April.

1. The Superstition Mountains/WIlderness outside Phoenix.

2. Saguaro National Park. Maybe too far, but, hey, it's a National Park.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll check them out. Any other cool areas that can accommodate a group?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools