Topic

Bivy? What bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy? What bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Oware makes custom sized bivys for people or two person one . I have one of his catbird tarp his stitching and design is great.
    http://www.owareusa.com/

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Thanks for the comments. I have always been a tent person and have little experience with a tarp, so was interested in Ron Moak's remarks. Not having to use a bivy would make the tarp combo definitely lighter than my tent (GG/Tarptent Squall Classic, 25.6 oz. without stakes).

In my case, my dog (part of my sleep system, lol!) is always with me, so I need a bug-free space not on muddy ground for him, too. I'd therefore need a 2-person (~8×10 ft.) tarp for us in any case–probably the GG SpinnTwinn (cuben is definitely way beyond my budget). That means a 2-person bug net. It also means a ground sheet–I don't want my gear nor my dog's CCF pad nor, for that matter, a bivy on muddy ground. The tarp also needs more stakes (~10) than the tent (6). That all combines to make the tarp combo plus bivy the same weight as my tent.

I have a cheap 8×10 flat tarp (bought for other purposes) and will do some trials with it in the back yard in bad weather, but from what most of you have stated here about the necessity for a bivy, I'd evidently be better off to stick with the tent!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I wonder if a Lightheart Solo would be big enough for you and your pup, since it's got the 'side triangle' space.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

The Lightheart Solo is heavier than the tent I have. I like my Squall Classic and don't plan to change unless I can save half a pound of weight without having to spend too many $$ (especially since with gas prices going ballistic, my trips this summer are going to cost a lot more).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"The Lightheart Solo is heavier than the tent I have."

Well, yes. But, looking at the pics, do you think it would work, or is it too small for a person and a pup? Thinking about it myself, only I'd get the cuben. Just wondering what you think of the size since you've backpacked with your pup extensively.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

How well a tent works for solo hiker plus dog depends on several things, one of which is the size of the pup.

My dog, mostly Lab, is 80 lbs. He doesn't take up a lot of space while sleeping because he curls up in a ball on his 20" x 30" pad, but he close to doubles the amount of air exhaled into the tent. That means that a solo tent designed to ventilate for one person may have serious condensation problems when the dog is added. My experience is with a SMD Lunar Solo a few years ago. In good weather, when we were only in the tent to sleep, with everything wide open, it was fine. My dog just fit in the triangle at the back. When we were confined to the tent by rain for several hours before bedtime, though, it was too cramped. The dog needed more room and so did I! With the vestibule partly closed on wet nights, condensation was a major problem. The one good thing was that I could sit up while still in my sleeping bag, and wipe down all the walls. This worked out fine if I could get it done before my dog woke up and went into his morning tail-wag routine!

I suspect the Lightheart Solo would work fine (maybe not with a St. Bernard or Newfie, though!) when it can be wide open, but if it has to be closed down in rainy weather, that might be another story. I've never seen one so can't comment.

EDIT, later: I'm wondering if the porch or awning version would be better ventilated in wet weather? This might be something to take up with the Lightheart folks?

Back to the bivy/no bivy under a tarp issue: I'd love to switch to a tarp, mainly for the views, but don't see much point if I can't save weight while doing so. Of course I don't want to get wet, either!

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

If I ever buy another "very light" (not waterproof on top) bivy, the thing I would prioritize, apart from weight, is how well it's reviewed as minimizing condensation. What I prefer to do when using a tarp (winter time is a great time for that IMO …) is to carry a very light bivy and hope that I don't feel the need to use it. Because of condensation. So I'll normally start the night not in the bivy and pull it over the bag if I find that rain is blowing sideways or snow is floating in on top of me or something like that.

There's at least one thread going on this site about condensation in bivies; I've not looked at it in detail, but suggest that you do to select something that will minimize that issue for you.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the thread that todd started on a wet bivy was w/ a Epic top which is very, very water resistant

I think that's the reason why Ron switched to Momentum- more breathable (at some sacrifice to water resistance) for his bivy tops

I've had mine in some pretty soggy conditions and haven't had condensation issues (knock on wood :))

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

After talking to a few folks I've come to the conclusion it was more the thick fog and too much insulation (making me put off moisture) for low 50* temps.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ good to know :)

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools