Topic

Where to get NANO activated carbon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Where to get NANO activated carbon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

As seen in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spw6PVQClUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPENqD-V-TQ

Google did not turn up much. Is nano activated carbon the same thing as regular powdered carbon seen here:

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/activated_charcoal_powder

Or is it actually some kind of nano tech?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ike,

I think the nano refers to the "pore" size in the charcoal/carbon pieces, but I'm no expert.

Although probably much cheaper in bulk, you can also buy AC at pet stores, used in fish tank filtration. I bought a 5 oz container for $5.99.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

There was a good show on PBS about the nanotubes, including a demo pulling a string of them from a container for over 12 feet.
    But "nano-activated" – my eye.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Activated charcoal is useful in water treatment because of its incredibly high surface area to volume ratio – it has lots of "active" sites for things in the water to get stuck to. "Nano" here just sounds like marketing nonsense – maybe the pores running through granules of AC are on the order of nanometers in diameter, so let's call it "NANO!!". But whether they are or aren't, the principal is the same – high surface area for high adsorption, and I doubt there's anything special about "NANO!!" here. Just a buzzword right now. I would say just get whatever AC you can get for cheap.

Nanotubes and "nano" activated carbon are not really related except that they refer to being "small".

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

According to wikipedia, regular activated charcoal has "many areas where flat surfaces of graphite-like material run parallel to each other, separated by only a few nanometers or so"

Sounds like all activated charcoal could be called "nano"

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

i guess my powder could be considered nano then .

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

yep, i think that's the takeaway

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If you are only thinking in terms of dimensions, then particles that are nano meters in size fall into the 'nano' category.

Most "regular" carbon has bonds that are random. In the case of graphite, bonds are primarily in one plane, and occasional bonds extending to planes above are below. These inter-plane are easily broken, providing a 'lubricating' effect. But all carbon has tremendous porosity or surface area, hence the ability to collect and filter.

If you are thinking in terms of the structural arrangement of nanotubes you are talking about something very different.

Nanotube

At a cost of $100 to $500 per Gram, it leads to a somewhat expensive filter.

Edit: Oops – I just found some 'short' nanotubes at $20/gram. So not so bad after all.

Troy Childs

@tchilds

This is overkill. In a filtration system that is one way it may have applications. However, I just use two bottles and flow back and forth over and over until it tastes right. For this reason I don't worry about how effective it is in one pass. The amount of activated carbon needed for single pass filtration is too heavy, nano or otherwise.

Buy some very fine carbon and you'll be fine. Similar to the size of coffee grounds.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

if your talking about weight, i have about 1.9oz of carbon in my filter and thats alot. I dont consider it heavy. i imagine the same space taken up by powdered AC would probably be 3oz or so, and i wouldn't consider that heavy either.

If powdered AC will get me that 1-pass perfectly clean water like in the videos above i'll go for that. May have to get smalelr than 1 micron material though.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

I hope you are not basing your water treatment strategy solely on what you see in youtube videos…

It's not really something to be taken lightly. Waterborne illnesses can be really nasty. Make sure you really know what you're doing before putting all your eggs in a homemade basket.

Do you have any idea what the removal effectiveness of your setup will be? How will you know when the activated carbon has been used up (i.e. all of the adsorption sites are taken), because when that happens, the water will just pass through without getting cleaner.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

i have always used chemical treatments before filtering.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

the carbon filter is for removing the chems, colors,tastes, pesticides, etc.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Whew. Ok. All good.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

ACtually i may be able to ditch my filter all together if I can obtain this material:

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/activated_carbon_fiber_cloth

Right now i use a prefilter made out of 1-micron material that i just pour my water into, aligning it over the dirty bag and letting it fall right in. Works good. Well if i can use this material, I can sew 1-2 layers of it onto my current prefilter and maybe ditch my GAC filter all together. Without a doubt it would be the lightest 1 micron removing carbon filter ever. The weight penalty would be practically nothing to sew on a few layers of that stuff. Only problem is i cant find a distributor that will sell it in small amounts. This is would significantly lighten my filtering setup.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Unopened package. 25 grams.

First posted request here takes it, provided I get an immediate PM or e-mail as well.

Free to a good home. Just help out the next guy, when you get a chance.

Send me your address, and I'll mail it tomorrow.

PM, or direct to greg at smgm dot org

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools