Topic

Sewing machine question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing machine question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

I don’t have the cash to sink into a “real” sewing machine…does anyone use one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330034545273&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=330033429187&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

I just want to make some stuff sacks and maybe some mitts, but that is it. Thanks for any input.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Personally, I wouldn’t go near that. Before I did, I’d do web searches and see if I can find some reviews.

You might be able to pick up a used machine at some garage sale or thrift shop.

You could go to one of the sewing newsgroups, like alt.sewing, and state your needs. Sometimes the answer you get will be “get the one that works for you”, but someone might be able to at least steer you away from the bad ones.

Go to a Wal-Mart, or Hancocks, or whatever, and write down the models they have. Then go home and do a web search, looking for something like “Singer XXX review”, and you might get something. You’ll also get a bunch of links back where the review pertains to the seller rather than the machine, but you’ll just have to sort through that.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

machine review on Amazon

Here’s one for $80 or so.

I’d at least get one from a place where you can return it if it breaks. Not eBay.

Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

for the link and info. Cheers.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Just so you know, I’ve never used the machine in question. It just seemed to have good reviews. I did a whole bunch of research before I got mine, asking people, using one in a store, etc. I got a higher end machine though.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I have the Brother LS2125. Got it from walmart for $80. It works great! It doesn’t do many fancy stitches but it does straight, zig-zag, elastic and botton holes. I just use it for straight stitches but it works dependably every time. You can vary the spacing on the stitches.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools