Topic

down air mattress

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking down air mattress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just picked up an Exped Down Air Mattress (great deal at SAC).

All they had left was a “short” which is torso-length (43″). My question is whether this is going to work or not since my lower legs and feet won’t have the benefit of the down insulation under them. I plan to use my pack or spare clothes under my feet.

Anybody using a short DAM? How has that worked? I’m planning to use this in moderately cold temperatures (0-32F) on snow.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I think you’ll be real happy with this setup, I used it all winter last season. If you do it just right you can put your boots under your legs with a partially filled pack.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I use the P.O.E. max-thermo (synthetic filled air mattress) that is 48″ long (15 oz.) and use a 24″ long piece of foam, and other camp debris, under my legs. Foam doubles as seat and stiffener in my backpack.

I find the setup to be a good mix of comfort and weight savings.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Is it dificult to fill those mattresses?
    Do you have to carry a pump? I heard that just blowing your breath into them will moisten the down.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Some/most down air mattresses come with a pump, sometimes serving dual use as the stuff bag. E.g., Exped (click “Details.”)

Filling them is often mentioned to be a bit of pain, taking 2-5 minutes.

evan freeman

@climberevan

Locale: western colorado

i have 2 of the Downmat 7 mats. inflation is a bit of a pain, but it’s just as fast with the stuffsack as breathing into it would be, and doesn’t introduce moisture/weight. getting the stuffsack attached to the valve takes a little practice…

sleeping on the thing is absolute bliss–the most comfortable pad i’ve used, and i cannot even begin to detect the snow under me. 3/4 length is great–just put your pack or other misc crap under your feet and lower legs and you’ll be fine.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

my wife and I both have them for snow camping. Tad bit heavy but warm and verrrryyyy comfortable. Good night sleep is at hand with these wonderful pads~!~

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

How are they for summer and fall use?

Big Agnes has a questionable reputation for quality of their air pads so don’t want to go there.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love the downmat. Warmest pad I’ve used. Kind of a hassle to inflate with the bag but it only takes a minute or two extra. Much warmer than the Big Agnes Insulated Aircore (although I’ve used one of those a lot and have had zero issues- it’s just not as warm as the downmat).

I find the downmat to be too warm for summer use. But my wife loves it nearly year-round here in the Pacific Northwest.

I just can’t wait to see the Pacific Outdoor (POE) Aerogel pad- seems that it will raise the bar for insulation (but I sure doubt it will beat the downmat for comfort!)

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

>> I just can’t wait to see the Pacific Outdoor (POE) Aerogel pad- seems that it will raise the bar for insulation (but I sure doubt it will beat the downmat for comfort!)

Hi Doug-

I’ve been testing one for the past month. Expect a full review after I can get it out in some seriously cold weather…. ;-)

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Michael,

Any idea when these (the hyper-high pads) will hit the market?

Thanks,

Roy

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

>> Any idea when these (the hyper-high pads) will hit the market?

Roy-

The latest info from POE is that it will be available around January 2007.

Cheers,

-Mike

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Mike,

Thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to the review.

Cheers,

Roy

Denis Walsh
    Spectator

@kd7kgc

Locale: Northern Rockies

I bought an Exped Down Mat 7, about 3 weeks ago. I've only had a chance to use it twice so far. It is wonderfully warm and comfortable! When it's cold outside, you can roll and move around without being cold. I'm going out again this weekend to try my winter sleep system, and I'm confident the mat will be good. Don't know about the bags yet. Expensive but worth it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools