Topic

Central PA hikers, question about Old Logger’s Path

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Central PA hikers, question about Old Logger’s Path

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

For my next trip, I was planning on hiking the Old Logger's Path in central Pa. If any of you have done it, did you go clockwise around the loop, or counter? In retrospect, is that the direction you would have wanted to go? I was planning on taking a weekend once the snow melts.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Can't help much, as it was a long time ago when I did it. All I remember is that it was very wet and muddy, so be prepared for that. If it's the one I'm thinking of, though, it's got a great waterfall next to a camping area. And I don't think it would have mattered much which direction I'd gone. Like most PA trails, it's rolling from both directions – sometimes steeply and other times not.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Douglas, what time of the year did you hike it? Most PA trails have the potential to be mud-fests early in the spring, and no doubt this is the same. I usually hike in goretex boots in PA precisely for that reason. The scenery looks a lot like the nearby Black Forest Trail which I did last summer, which was an amazing hike.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I'll check my calendar when I get home.

Black Forest Trail is one of my favorite east coast hikes. Old Loggers Path doesn't come close, IMO, neither in scenery nor as a fun, challenging hike.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I've done the Old Loggers Path three times now – I find it a great hike to be taking folks new to backpacking.

The direction you hike is really dependent on the mileage you want to do…I always hike it clockwise from Masten now. It's then about 11 miles the first day, about 11 the second day, leaving just 6 miles the third day.

Please feel free to PM me…I have a bunch of logs from my trips, photos, GPS data, etc. that I'm happy to share.

The trailguide that you can find online has you hiking the trail counter-clockwise. When I did it last May we had both campsites to ourselves, but there were lots of people going the other direction – one guy told me that there were more than 25 people at the site we had alone the second night! Just another reason for going clockwise…

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Douglas, any hikes in the area that are similar to the BFT? Keep in mind I prefer a loop since I'll be driving there alone from Western New York.

Kevin, I would love to see your photos! Also, that itinerary sounds pretty good. Nothing I hate more than camping at a so-so spot, then waking up the next morning only to hike by a great one early on!

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Also, what's the earliest I can hope for most of the snow to be gone by?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Nothing really compares to the BFT… ;-)

The Allegheny Front Trail is nice. Liked it more than the Old Loggers Path. It's about a 40 mile loop, if I remember correctly.

You should be able to make a loop out of Parts of the Susquehannock Trail, and that's a sweet trail. The whole thing is 85 miles, but it's actually a series of interconnected trails so I'd think you could make it shorter. If so, that would be my choice. In fact I'm sure you could, as there are two trails that connect the Susquehannock with the BFT if I remember correctly.

Loyalsock Trail is 60-mile point to point, but at one end they have a 27-mile loop that's really nice – great views and nice backpacking – IMO much nicer than the Old Loggers Path.

Some ideas to kick around.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Matt,

I'm traveling and don't have my photos with me. I did the loop the first weekend in April a couple of years ago. There was snow in a couple of places, but just small patches. This winter could be different, but a call to the Ranger responsible for the area should let you know.

Also – last year Pleasant Stream Road to Masten was washed out – I don't believe it has yet been fixed. You have to get to the trailhead through Ralston and Rock Run Road.

There is one stream crossing that does not have a bridge. In the summer you can probably cross without getting your feet wet, but it was running about 30" deep when I crossed it that April. It was chilly but not unbearable.

The availability of water won't be an issue for you in the Spring. The streams, seeps, and runs will be running high. A friend of mine hiked it last August and only the biggest streams were flowing.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Douglas, I appreciate the food for thought.

Kevin, I google-mapped directions and it has me heading south through Ralston, then east on Pleasant Stream Rd. Is that the area that's washed out? Are you saying I'd have to go east in Ralston, instead of south?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If you haven't already hiked it try the Sesquehannaock Trail System (STS). It's an 80+ mile loop that has a small town & post office located conviently at about 5:30 on the loop where you can send food care of yourself @ General Delivery so you don't have to carry it all.

The STS connects other trails like The Black Forest Trail so you can make your trip extend into two weeks if you like. Or, if you are in a hurry it has a shortcut from roughly 3 o'clock to 10 o'clock on the loop. Begin at the Denton Hill State Forest Service parking lot.

P.S. There is a great STS topo map set and guidebook for this trail. It's THE best PA trail ever.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Matthew, if you decide on any of the three trails I listed, I should have maps, maybe even a guidebook, you could use. Just don't destroy them and mail them back when you're finished.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools