Topic

lightweight double boots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism lightweight double boots?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i've been using my old asolo double boots this winter. they work great, and i love sleeping in the booties at night. however, they are very heavy, and i think i'm needing a larger size since my toes are pretty sore at the end of most days, so i would like to upgrade. i recently tried on some la sportiva trango extremes, and they were amazing, however they did not have a removable bootie, so they wont work for what i want.

im wanting a boot with at least a heel groove for the heel lever on my sabertooth clip crampons, so i can use them while ice climbing or technical snow climbs. I really would like some double boots since i hate putting on cold boots in the winter. any suggestions?

-Ted

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I really like my Spantiks, still pretty heavy.
    Soreals see me through the winter in the city though

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

the plastic double boots. depending of the vintage, they will come with either a scarpa liner (older) or an intuition liner (newer). the intuition liner is warmer/better than the scarpa liner. if buying used, check how many times the liner has been baked.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

so, how comfortable are the omegas with the intuition liner? I've never owned a boot with intuition liners, but i hear they are good.

-Ted

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

if properly molded they fit like gloves. need to make sure that you use a toe-cap or facsimile there-of when molding. if you go to a shop to have it done and they say you don't need one don't belive them. also, they act like a vapor barrier so you won't need a pair of them and i'd (so does the manufacturer) recommend wearing them with a very thin sock, not a mountaineering sock.

ps – the boots first have to fit properly – while intuition liners will help any boot fit better they will not fix a really bad fitting boot.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I'm no expert, but re: "they act like a vapor barrier so you won't need a pair of them and i'd (so does the manufacturer) recommend wearing them with a very thin sock, not a mountaineering sock," isn't it possible to trap perspiration next to the foot with a VBL sock, add warmth with a big sock, and then it doesn't matter that the inner boot doesn't breathe since no perspiration is getting to the big sock?

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

i searched a bit, and you're right, the omegas are the lightest double boot. My current boots weigh in at 6.5 lbs for the pair! Also, most of the reviews said that the boot runs a bit narrow, so i think it'll be a good fit with my low volume, high arched feet.

I looked around for a good deal on the omegas. i found them on closeout at rockandsnow.com, and i had moosejaw pricematch, so i got a new pair for $200 + around $27 in points with my high altitude bonus!

I think i'll get them fitted professionally. I always wear my integral design vapor barriers since they also keep the bootie from getting any foot odor. my system is an injinji wool quarter sock, then the vapor liners, and then REI expedition weight socks, however with how warm these boots are suppose to be, i might switch to the standard REI or smartwool hiking socks if the expedition weight is too warm, and only use the expedition weight if im going to be standing in the cold for extended periods

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

"isn't it possible to trap perspiration next to the foot with a VBL sock…" sure, anything is possible (except for dinosaurs), but that would defeat the purpose of these boots and the beautiful intuition heat moldable liner. sure you could wear these boots just to keep your feet warm, but they are specifically desinged low volume, light weight technical boot that are known for their precision and control. the more layers you put between your foot and the shell the the less precision and control you have. that and you'd need to size the boot up for all the layers. the liners are closed cell foam, so no moisture is getting into them anyway. and intuition recommends wearing a thin sock, not a mountaineering sock. they also recommend you don't use a footbed unless you really need one and just let the liner mold to shape.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

ted e. you don't realize the deal you got. rockandsnow are selling the old discontinued model with the scarpa liner, moosejaw is selling the new model. the closed cell foam liners are very easy to clean and don't get to smelling like other liners. you are now using 3-layers when you could be wearing just one.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

so, are you saying that the intuition liners do not absorb any moisture? i would assume that they would absorb some moisture, and i tend to get stinky feet even after one day in fresh socks if my feet aren't able to breath. i just change out the liner socks every day.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

the intuition liners do not absorb any moisture. they are made of a closed cell foam. treat them like you would a vapor barier sock.

intuition liner

i wear my boots that have a closed cell foam liner with just a liner sock and have not had an issue. as with some vapor barrier socks, i think there's a little bit of breathing thru the stitching of the bootie.

also, one of the ways to address a sweaty foot is with foot powder or aresol antipersperant.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

i found my new boots waiting on the doorstep when i got back this week. I'm excited to take them climbing. I'm also dropping over half a pound off each foot!

so, my greet superfeet insoles fit in them well, and my feet feel pretty good in them like that. what temp would you recommend heating my liners to to mold them?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

how thick is the foam of these intuition inner bootees?

Zachary Arnold

@zrarnold

Locale: Southern Spain

The spantiks are incredible for multiday cold mountaineering. They feel like a leather boot but have removable liner. They are very warm compared to a regular leather. But they have a removable bootie. Much better then a plastic in my opinion. Much better flexibility but still stiff for climbing and front pointing. But they are big bucks. I borrowed a pair. If I was doing very high altitude then I would spend the money.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools