Topic

how do I fix small hole in wool shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear how do I fix small hole in wool shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    k web

@kbweb

Locale: Tacoma, WA

Thought I'd ask those that MYOG. I have an Icebreaker 150wt shirt with an 1/8" size hole in the torso area from a fall against some rocks. I just need a simple fix. I don't care how it looks. Can I just do an iron on patch? It's not in a high wear area.

Thoughts?

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

I put a 1/2" by 1/2" L-shaped tear in a merino wool shirt sleeve. I turned it inside out and sewed it up by hand with matching color thread. You can hardly tell the rip was there and has lasted for about 3 or 4 years now.

k web

@kbweb

Locale: Tacoma, WA

Hmm, I wondered about sewing. The 150wt wool seems so thin. Didn't know if that was even an option.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Darning is the best way to mend knit fabrics. Here's how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYVZ6OvOW9Y

Obviously, you'll use a much finer needle and thread than shown in the video, to match the fabric. Make sure you run your thread through each of those unattached loops above and below the hole. Don't pull your thread too tight; you want some stretch in the darn to match the rest of the fabric.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Mary,

Just wanted to compliment you on being so knowledgeable in so many areas, and always posting positive stuff.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I was going to add 'ask your granny to show you how', but I see that hikinggranny (Mary D) has beaten me to it…

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Aw, thanks, Nick! (blush)

John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

Been slowly converting my wardrobe to include more and more lightweight Merino wool, so this will definitely come in handy once they start seeing some wear. Thanks!

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I purchased a Smartwool 1/4 zip last winter and when I pulled it out to use in May a moth had made a few hole in the front.
    My Grandmother and Mother had taught me how to Darn wool socks so I went to the fabric store and picked out some thread that matched the fabric and darned the holes. You have to look close to see the darning.
    The trick is not to pull the tread tight, in fact when you start leave the tread loose for the first while, it will get taught by the weaving pattern of the additional thread. The mistake I make is pulling the tread to taught. It is darning, not sewing, you are not trying to close the hole by pulling the fabric together you are filling the hole with thread.
    For socks my mom would put a light bulb in the heel (usually the first place for a hole) and then darn the sock. This keeps and even tension on the sock and saves you finger while you are darning, it also keeps the shape of the heel.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I have been looking for merino thread to repair a small hole in a baselayer but haven't been successful. Are folks just using polyester thread or something different? I have fixed a hole in a wool hat with polyester thread but feel a little scratchiness where the repair is. Thanks in advance.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Greg, I just use the Poly thread I have for my machines. It softens after washing.
    You could use a cotton thread and it would be softer, but I never use cotton on my machines and for me it would be a waste of a spool of thread that might never get used again.
    YMMV
    Tad

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Thanks very much, Tad!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools