Topic

Packing List Oddities

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Packing List Oddities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Is there anything you carry that may be overlooked by others, serves an unexpected purpose, serves a special purpose for you or maybe just plan wierd !

Something that some of us might be glad to drag along with us.

For me, if I do an extended trip I have to carry nail clippers as I can’t stand long nails. (boring – sorry !)

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

..and a mini-inflator and needle. As a camp chair it is higher and softer than a pad (the volleyball, not the watermelon). I lead small group hikes, and when I pull out the bright yellow ball with the smiley face on the side (brought all the way from walmart in the US); I get great reactions. We sometimes hit the ball around after camp is set up, or at full stops. It has a high enjoyment/weight ratio. Maybe I approach this LW hiking thing upside down; since I am never the slowest in the group, carrying lightweight, low-volume gear allows me to actually carry more luxury items for the same skin-out weight. In my hiking circle, I started a tradition of carrying a (small)watermelon to the first camp meal. Again, great reactions from the newbies when I take it out for our desert. I eat my share with my BackpackingLight Ti spoon.

ian wright

@ianwright

Great ideas !

I believe that one of the big advantages of travelling light is being able
    to afford carrying some goodies.
    Especially for that first day or two like you mentioned.

I sometimes CAREFULLY pack a few bananas
    and have even carried milk to make a decent coffee.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i’m into ham radio and i bring along a Morse Code tutor when i solo. it weighs 8 ounces and gives me something to do once it gets dark and i climb into my sleeping bag.

at some point i’ll invest in a backpacking ham radio that runs on 6 AA batteries, but i need to improve my code skills first – seems like a fun way to wind down the evening.

-steve

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Someone on a BPL forum once suggested a squirtgun as a bidet. That sounded great to me and I took one out for 2+ weeks with splendid results on a TP free trek. It also works great to chase away the camp robber birds that pester at mealtime. Besides a converstation piece, I never came up with a third use, but would take it along again.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Fill with alcohol for a flame thrower?

Tom Casperite

@tcasperite

I brought a frisbee once. It wasn’t official weight, so it was a tad lighter. It has a fantastic entertainment value with a group. Also, it seems it is always in use to gather odds and ends while in camp. You could also use it to collect water or as a plate in your lap so your boil in a bag meal doesn’t burn you. Lastly, it packs rather well. Placing it right against your back or pad it can add to your virtual frame in your pack.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> have even carried milk to make a decent coffee.

I find the words ‘milk’ and ‘decent coffee” incompatible …
    ymmv :-)

Cheers

ian wright

@ianwright

Down here near Bega there’s not enough rain for us to be able to use water in our coffee ! I use 100% milk !
    But if you can bring some H20 I’ll make you one !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools