Topic

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim Family Backpack gear questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Grand Canyon Rim to Rim Family Backpack gear questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Kehde

@caretaker

Locale: Jupiter, Florida

Family of three, two adults and one 9 year old. Middle of June.

Classic high use trails North Kaibab to Bright Angel with water stations turned on.

We have permits and lodge reservations for the following itinerary in order:
    North Rim Cabins
    Cottonwood Campground
    Bright Angel Campground
    Phantom Ranch Dorm Room
    Indian Garden Campground
    El Tovar Lodge
    Shuttle back to north rim and Motel on way bag to Vegas.

From what I understand is gets 20 degrees warmer as you go down. This means 100F+ at the bottom.

This itinerary leaves me spending the night at El Tovar after the hike and shuttling back to my car the following day with only what I carried across.

My gear list questions

Shelter: I have a Ray Way style tarp and net tent. Will I be able to get my light titanium stakes into the ground/find big rocks at the campgrounds or do I need to consider bringing different stakes?

Clothing list:
    Wide Brim Sun Hat
    Running Shorts
    2 pairs light socks and trail runner sneakers
    Patagonia Rock Guide Pants and a pair of synthetic boxers
    Patagonia Capilene 1 long sleeve shirt light color
    Patagonia Cap 2 T shirt
    R1 Pullover and Windshirt or Marmot Driclime Windshirt
    No Rain Gear or maybe Golite Chrome Dome Umbrella

Misc. Gear:
    We plan to begin the hiking early as recommended. Do we need better headlamps than Photon Freedom 2 for these trails?

12 liter water capacity for 3 people enough?

I have thick down sleeping quilts from Jacks R Better. I know these will be too much, but I don't want to invest much into something for just this trip. How about simple homemade fleece blankets?

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Yes, really hot. But you knew that, yet I am going to repeat it again, it's REALLY HOT in the Grand Canyon in June.

My first backpack in the Grand Canyon was in mid June. Bright Angel trail down to the river, one night in the campground, hiked back up. Here are my thoughts on gear based on that trip.

We started our hike while it was still dark, so we could get a few relatively cool hours in. It was fabulous to see the canyon during sunrise, highly recommended. So get each of you a good headlamp so that you can hike comfortably in the dark.

I didn't bring a shelter at all that first trip and slept relatively well for a few hours at Bright Angel Campground. On a subsequent trip to the Grand Canyon I realized that there are lots of rodents scurrying around the campsites during the night. If that bothers you maybe a fully enclosed tent is in order.

I brought a down sleeping bag and a thermarest. Was thankful for the thermarest but didn't end up using the bag, the night was just to warm. On the other hand not sure I'd want to leave the sleeping bag behind. A conundrum.

I brought a stove and lots of food. Next time I'm bringing less heavy dinners and many more salty snacks and electrolite mixes.

A couple of my hiking mates got bad blisters. Check you feet often, bring several pairs of socks so you can switch out damp ones, and a good blister kit.

A gallon of water capacity per person should be fine considering your hiking on the corridor trails. Make sure each of you have a small bottle that you use for Gatorade type drinks.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

You'll likely be able to find rocks for your tarp. The ground in those campgrounds is indeed rock hard.

Fleece blankets or even light sleeping bag liners (of silk or coolmax) will likely be enough along with a light sweater.

The longest stretches between water will be on the initial descent, otherwise it'll never be more than a couple miles.

Have fun.

Brendan Kehde

@caretaker

Locale: Jupiter, Florida

Thanks Kristin and Dave

Rock hard ground, hot night temps, and campground living makes me want to go with a real free standing tent and some liner bags.

Maybe something like the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 at 4 pounds and some 10 ounce liner bags might come out pretty light overall and be more comfortable and enjoyable than fussing with anchoring my tarp and toting heavy quilts.

I'll post my gear list once I get it together.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools