Topic

Damn heavy wedding band

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I just weighed my wedding band and it comes in at whopping .3 ounces. Anyone know of a jeweler that will convert it to Titanium? Wait, carbon fiber!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Ha ha! How about bamboo? LOL!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

That’s something to keep in mind for when I get married. How cool would a carbon fiber ring be…

Adam

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Oh, that’s funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

When my son got married last year, he actually wanted a titanium wedding ring. However, when they asked the jeweler, the jeweler pointed out that, if he ever injured his hand, most hospitals aren’t equipped to cut off a titanium ring – leaving the only remaining option: cutting off the finger.

He chose nice, soft gold.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Isn’t that the whole point of a wedding band… that it cannot be removed? ;)

But then again, I guess that’s why gold is used instead of titanium… some marriages do a great job of emulating the ball and chain, no?

I’m lucky, I guess, for living in a society where rings are not expected (though lots of people wear them for their romantic connotations now). My wife and I haven’t worn our rings for 12 years now. Now that’s light!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tattoo it on!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have a ti wedding ring. Weighs 3.3 grams (was bored just the other day). Cutting it off isn’t a big deal.

They do make CF rings but I never liked any of the styles and they aren’t as durable as my ti ring. 2+ years of wear and it looks pretty good considering I don’t take it off ever (climbing, car work, welding, etc). It’s even still round despite a few finger smashing episodes.

Edit: Oh yea, Ti rings are cheap and not a “precious metal”. That’s why most jewelers don’t like them. Luckily I paid a small fortune for my wife’s two platnum rings (which I designed) so they let me slide with Ti :)

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Wow, that’s about 1/2 the weight!

I remember when I bought my wife’s ring, the jeweler laughed and threw my ring in for free.

These are all 99 bucks: http://www.titaniumrings.com/classiccustombands.html

I just would have to explain to our church why they would need to rebless my wedding ring… “But Father, it’s 1/2 the weight!”

Our 10 year anniversary is this weekend.. best not bring it up I guess. she’s already wondering why there is a new package being delivered to the door every day….

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Tungsten Jewelry

My wife has already informed me that, if we ever get new rings (she give me crap because mine was like $16) / redo our vows that I’ll be getting Tungsten (WC)… ;) (no scratches EVER)… darn heaviest material for rings…

j/k… I actually like the WC finish and heft… but their are considerably heavier than anything else…

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

All wedding bands weigh one of two real weights: Zero or a Billion Pounds.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Ron, you mean how much you think it weighs versus how much your wife thinks it weighs?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

This thread is absolutely, positively delightful! I mean, that’s pretty fanatical, discussing the weight of wedding bands! (though, according to ultralight philosophy, perfectly understandable). Next we’ll be discussing tooth fillings… trying to determine which is the lightest filling to get. And then on to trimming things like hair and fingernails and corns, washing off excess bacteria, and making sure one properly empties the plumbing before starting up the trail (“skin-in” weight). Just picture the ideal ultralight hiker… bereft of all extraneous items… a streamlined, featureless, teardrop of a creature, with no eyebrows, hair, or superfluous organs!

What about a delrin mitten hook for a wedding band? At least then it will serve double duty!

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

hmm, wonder how much my appendix weighs.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Appendix??? Heck lets just take off an entire arm—that way our clothes will be ligheter as we will have less to insulate, and we can carry one less trekking pole, and then you can imagine the simplest SUL hiking of them all, with a single arm and a cauterized stump.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

How about getting rid of everything but the eyes and legs? Almost no insulation needed at all! And who cares about the brain! Nothing to feed and only a minimum shelter needed. Not just Super Ultralight, but Grossly Urlight!

Only problem… where to put the wedding band then.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Miguel, you’re absolutely right! If Paris Hilton was to shave her head, she might be the quintessential UL Hiker.

BTW, how much does an appendix weigh? Thankfully I had my tonsils removed already.. don’t need them dragging me down on the trails.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

talk about “skin-in” weight – why not hike naked. a pair of UL wool socks and some UL shoes and just a wedding band – maybe a bandana for those awkward rest stop meets.

you could save 2-3 pounds easy – not sure what to do come winter, but i’m sure a 3rd wool sock could come in handy.

btw, it’s not worth the risk of weighing my wedding band – i can only imagine what would happen if she caught me…

-steve

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

you just need a good wife who doesn’t care if you wear it or not (Bryan, my darling hubby, never wears his band as it drives him as crazy as I do).

in all seriousness though – I quit wearing my wedding band and engagement ring when backpacking. after lunch one day Bryan saw something sparkling in the dirt – turns out my diamond ring had slipped right off my finger! it is much safer at home on my desk.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

since it seems that the original wedding ring comments were largely intended to be humorous, i will add to that by reminding everyone of the three rings associated with marriage.

First comes the engagement-ring.
    Second comes the wedding-ring.
    Third comes the suffer-ring.

signed,
    happily married for 27yrs (and counting)

p.s.
    just noticed, and none too thrilled with it (had i known this would happen, i might have refrained from making this worthless Post), my already overinflated rank increased by 0.01 after making this Post (or, at least, this was when i first noticed it).

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

too funny – I hadn’t heard that one before!

14 years here!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

When we got married, my husband asked if I wanted a Ti band, and I said no. I have white gold for both rings. The gold isn’t cold feeling.
    I have very thin fingers, so my ring was actually very affordable. I had my engagement ring fitted after he gave it to me, I wear it 24/7 with my wedding band behind it. Honestly, I only take them off if I am doing something messy like kneading dough. Even backpacking I wear them. My engagement ring..well, I probably wouldn’t weigh it. The diamond I’d rather not know how heavy it is!
    My husband though, his ring is very heavy. It is from the early 1940’s and was both his Grandfathers and Dad’s ring. We had it fitted to fit him (size 13 ring he wears). It is a solid piece of gold. But he wears it daily, even in the water.
    We are both avid ring wearers.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

One of my co-workers, 30 years old, was talking about proposing to his girfriend. I said, “Heck, in 20 years, you cab me just like me: a quarter-million in debt, two mouthy teen-age “room-mates” and you can wake up with a 50 year old woman in your bed.”

Love is strong– he still proposed and she said yes :)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I used to wear my rings all the time – but I cherish my rings and their meaning enough to not want to damage or lose them in the wilderness. Ya I guess I am sappy sentimental.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools