Topic

<b>Does Your Hiking Show?</b>

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion <b>Does Your Hiking Show?</b>

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I was paid what I consider a compliment by a co-worker of mine. On a daily basis I carry a day pack and walk from the front gate to my shop.

As I was walking in to work recently a co-worker asked me if I "walked on trails".

I responded, "Yes I do"!

His response was, "It shows, you've got that kind of a walk".

Until that point in time I didn't really know that I walked like a hiker. :-)

Does your hiking show? Can other hikers pick you out of a crowd? Would a non-hiker see something about you that would clue them in to your being a hiker?

If so, please tell us about it.

Party On,

Newton

Forbes Belk
    BPL Member

@forbesb-2

Locale: Bay Area

I've been asked if I was a sprinter before (I was) based on how I walk, but never if I was a hiker. I'd definitely say it makes sense that repetitive exercise would change the balance in your muscles enough to alter your gait.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

My limp probably does not say "hiker" :-)

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

My pace is above average. I pass almost everybody in front of me and never get passed. From video I've taken from a downward view when hiking, and seeing my own reflection from buildings, I can see that I am sort of feeling the ground with each step.

Like Josh's limp, I'd say most people think I'm injured or just decrepit. I have a mostly white beard and white hair that is on top purely imagination yet vigorous on the sides and back. Hopefully no one will dial 9-1-1 when they see me. However, if they do call then the EMTs will never catch me.

To paraphrase George Carlin:

Have you ever noticed that anybody walking slower than you is an idiot, and anyone walking faster than you is a maniac?

======

george c

The older I get the more I look like him I've been told…

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I don't think my walk is anything special, but I can sure be picked out of the crowd when sitting in a diner after a week on the trail. I think it's the smell…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Once I was told I walked "like I was XC skiing". Well, I used to be an XC racer and I wear and use my poles in a similar way so maybe that is what pegged my hiking gait for that observant guy.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I wouldn't say I walk like a hiker, I've got long legs so I tend to walk "faster" than most people anyway. My friends can always tell after I've been on a hike though, my legs are normally stiff and I hobble everywhere.

Adam

Sky Horne

@simplyalpine

Locale: Vagabonding..

definitely. I don't own shoes that aren't trail runners. It's hard for me to keep a pace that's under 3.5 mph. I turned my old hiking pants into casual city shorts. Always have one of my packs on me, loaded with essentials, and yeah, my outerwear make me look like I'm about to go on an expedition.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools