Topic

Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Favorite Powdered Electrolyte Drinks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dale, where do you find powdered Scotch?

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you drink enough scotch, YOU will be powdered well enough :) I think of it as dehydrated rather than powdered. Beats stuff like Gatorade, that's for sure!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

What situation makes you think you need one?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Many thread have a misunderstanding between the two. While some product both fuel and provide electrolytes they really should be looked at independently. Further, I have found that I can include electrolytes in my fuel if choice, maltodextrin, but I also supplement that with capsule containing a very inexpensive mix. This allows me the independently tailor both fuel and electrolytes to suit the environment and exertion at the moment.

The specific recipe that is used both in my Malto mix and capsule is in the link below. The resulting formula matches many of the commercial formulas at a small fraction of the cost.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=6d7e6f2cb3bd9e311d7851cd2c6d4ebe&entry_id=19697

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I use Sqwincher lite Kwik sticks. 0.1oz, designed for 20 oz bottles, works fine in about a liter. I get them from work, they are sold mostly by safety supply companies today.

Small amts of electrolytes, but I dont really even use them for electrolyte, Its mostly for a little bit of flavoring to water, I drink a lot more water that way.

I tried some electrolytes, that tasted pretty bad IMO. EmergenC, Nuun, the taste was not conducive to drinking, in fact, it worked the other way. I didnt want to drink it, so I drank less.

I have picked up any of the wide variety WalMart sells in a pinch as well on the way to a trailhead. Liquid too. Cant say I think Ive ever suffered electrolyte deficiencies.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Brawndo's got electrolytes. :-)

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

"Brawndo's got electrolytes. :-)"

The thirst mutilator. It's what plants crave!

Timothy McGee
    Spectator

@timo

Skratch Pineapple or Rasberry

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

While cycle touring in the northern part of Laos in January, I was getting cramps every night as I lay in bed because some days you'd be climbing 1800 metres. Normally I'd use Nuun tablets, but they are not cheap and sometimes hard to source at a reasonable cost.

On my walks since I've used an Aldi Benifex Performance tablets (Related to Trader Joes), they've got the vitamins and minerals in them at half the price of the brand names, not sure if they are as good though. I normally take five tablets per day on multi-day walks and mix each tablet in 500 ml of water, it's a good way to gauge a minimum amount of water consumed per day.

I also take 30 grams of Vegemite and have that on dry biscuits.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Nuun Active Hydration contains the following per tablet (16 ounce drink)- Active Ingredients

Sodium (carbonates)…………. 360.0 mg
    Potassium (bicarbonate)……. 100.0 mg
    Magnesium (sulfate)………….. 25.0 mg
    Calcium (carbonate)………….. 12.5 mg
    Vitamin C……………………………. 19.0 mg
    Vitamin B……………………………. 2.50 mg

These amount would be doubled if taken with every 500 ml of water.

Aldi Benifex Performance Tables seem to have only 360 mg of sodium.
    I'd find a way to add potassium.

Knowing your sodium and potassium replacement rate as a function of water consumed is an excellent of monitoring your intake. IMHO.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Another yukky triumph of marketing over common sense.
    Hear those cash register bells…

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Within the last week, I have consumed a lot of this stuff.

For the first day, I drank orange Gatorade simply to get rid of the stuff. It works, but it is too sweet. For the second day, I was drinking Powerade. It's about the same or worse. For the third day, I was drinking Vitalyte, and I kept it at about half-normal concentration. For the fourth day, I was going downhill and I didn't need extra sugar energy, so I drank Vitalyte at about quarter-normal strength. A pleasant flavor simply encourages me to drink more fluid.

I've mixed up my own mixes before using maltodextrin and other ingredients. In general, I keep them diluted.

For lunch, I was eating Hammer Perpetuem pellets, so apparently I don't have much taste.

–B.G.–

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

Some people may do this already but I repackage my tablets and use the containers for creams, spares, powders etc. On one of the containers shown, I've got 1 metre of duct tape wrapped around the outside with sewing needles and spare matches on the inside.

I use a disk sander to remove the excess material to the size I want and then I've got a nifty little storage container.

ElectrolyteContainers

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The Bigelow Tea Company makes a wonderful powdered coconut water and green tea mix packaged in individual sticks to be mixed with 16 oz of water. It's not commonly found on store shelves, so I order directly from the company. With 170-230mg sodium (depending on the flavor), 400mg potassium, and calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin A & C, it has become my favorite end-of-the-day recovery drink to prevent leg cramps at night. And it has NO high fructose corn syrup!

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Monty,

What is the name of this product from Bigelow Tea Company? I was looking on their website but didn't see it (or saw it and didn't realize what it was).

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Another yukky triumph of marketing over common sense."

I think everyone realizes that we can get these electrolytes in our bodies through proper nutrition but also realize that many of our meals are lacking in this category so I guess I fail to understand how managing our electrolyte levels by whatever means necessary equals a lack of common sense?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Ian

> many of our meals are lacking in this category so I guess I fail to understand how
    > managing our electrolyte levels by whatever means necessary equals a lack of common
    > sense?
    Perspective, perspective …
    Me, I would adjust my meals/diet. That seems common sense to me.

Mind you, there is zero chance of you coming to ANY harm if the trip is only a few days, even out to a week (or more). That too is common sense. But the hamburger and chips sure will taste good aftwerwards…

Cheers

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Mind you, there is zero chance of you coming to ANY harm if the trip is only a few days, even out to a week (or more). That too is common sense."

If by common sense you mean rubbish, then I agree. There's no way you or I can distinguish heat exhaustion/stroke from hyponatremia in the field other than if added water consumption (without adding electrolytes) reduces or exacerbates the symptoms but I have seen dozens of physically fit soldiers crash within a couple days of deploying to the field. Some were from dehydration and others were from overhydration/hyponatremia. Solution is the same 99% of the time; slowly reintroduce fluids and electrolytes (IV or PO) and cool their core body temperature.

Regardless if you eat them or drink them, you still have to replace electrolytes.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I've been using those electrolyte capsules–I forget the brand name–which I find at rei. They've extremely light. Much, much lighter and easier to use than packaged drinks. No sugar. They seem to be comparable in electrolytes to powdered drinks.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I like the Nuun tablets. I like the taste and not too sweet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1/4-1/2 tsp table salt/liter H2O, depending on ambient temperature, exertion level, altitude, and personal physiology. Does the job and dirt cheap, too.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> There's no way you or I can distinguish heat exhaustion/stroke from hyponatremia in the field
    Hum … debatable. But then, hyponatremia in the Australian bush is not very likely; heat exhaustion and stroke do happen. Yes, I know both of them, how to handle them, and have handled them.

> dozens of physically fit soldiers crash within a couple days of deploying to the field.
    'Fit' as in able to run a mile, maybe. 'Fit' as in knowing how to handle themselves in the field: obviously not. Happens all the time with young'uns.

We don't go for these modern expensive fancy 'Powdered Electrolyte Drinks' here, and our history of over 100 years of walking has got on very well without them. We eat good food instead. YMMV.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"We eat good food instead."

What do you call Vegemite!

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What do you call Vegemite!"

Good food. ;0)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"'Fit' as in able to run a mile, maybe. 'Fit' as in knowing how to handle themselves in the field: obviously not. Happens all the time with young'uns."

I'm actually interested to know how many soldiers you've had to treat for heat related ailments? Sounds like you're an expert on the topic.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools