Topic

The Clymb – I/O Bio Merino, 66°NORTH, Sherpani for Women, SOG Knives + DAKINE Ski & Snowboard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals The Clymb – I/O Bio Merino, 66°NORTH, Sherpani for Women, SOG Knives + DAKINE Ski & Snowboard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

anyone have experience with SOG knives? any of the ones on sale especially useful for backpacking?

thanks!

James S

@hikinnc

SOG makes a great knife. I picked up a Field Pup as that price is the cheapest I've ever seen and it's a fantastic knife!

$29 can't be beat.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

I sometimes bring my SOG flash II on trips. I really like the knife for everyday carry, but usually just bring a razor blade when backpacking.

The flash II on the Clymb has an aluminum lined handle. Mine is the unlined version (one ounce lighter) and has a full straight edge.

Personally, I'm thinking of going with a skeleton handled fixed blade knife for trips when want a blade. Maybe something like a bark river bravo necker 2.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

SOG Seal Pup isn't a good backpacking knife – too heavy, not ideal for bushcraft, larger than you need and lower quality steel – and this is coming from someone who had to carry a tactical knife in an elite airborne unit. I don't mean to disappoint – it's not a bad knife – it's just that there are far better choices for backpacking. I've long since sold the two tactical knives I used during my service.

For backpacking I'd suggest a fixed-blade skeletonized handle knife. A fixed blade is always ready to use, can be operated with one hand and all things equal is stronger. My wife and I use the Bark River Necker 2, which weighs only 2.5 ounces with scales (the knife isn't comfortable or as safe without scales)and has a 3.5 in. blade – or you can make scales or a handle yourself – I'm experimenting with a bike tire rubber handle when I get a chance, which also doubles as a material which will hold a fire for a long time. The Bark River Necker 2 is made of high quality steel, is thick enough to be quite strong/durable and has a convex edge which makes sharpening easy. Also it's stainless which means you can use it for food prep without corrosion, yet the steel can handle batoning wood. Other good choices include the Fallkniven WM1 and the less expensive carbon RAT Izula (easy to field sharpen but more prone to corrosion).

As you can tell I'm not in the camp of carrying a razor blade for backpacking. I consider a light small fixed a simple essential survival tool.

And I'm not trying to start yet another razor blade versus knife thread!

James S

@hikinnc

Not a Seal Pup – a Field Pup. Different animal entirely.

It's a fantastic knife – though I don't judge knives on their bushcraft ability unless it's in fact a bushcraft knife – which neither the Seal Pup/Elite or Field Pup are.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mountainwalker, I really like that Necker knife! It just went onto my wish list. Now how can I happen to leave that out for my wife to see…..

P.S. What are scales?

James S

@hikinnc

Handles.

Since a full tang knife handle isn't fully wrapped around, they're referred to as scales. Grips, handles, scales, etc,.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools