Topic

Chopper mittens

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Chopper mittens

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I used to use Dachstein Mitts as my only handwear for winter climbing. They are surprisingly warm, and give good friction. Any moisture freezes on the outside creating a pretty windproof and weatherproof shell.
    They can be itchy though.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Katharina, I was curious to know if there have been any developments? Would love to hear about any updates, as I would definitely be on board for purchasing some. Thanks and best of luck!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hi Konrad. It's too dark for pictures right now, but I have made 2 pairs. Since I have no pattern , I am making it up as I go. Some wool shrinks more than others, so for each type of wool I need to change my pattern a bit. The boiled baby alpaca wool is very nice, not itchy, but does not shrink as densely as sheeps wool. The other set I made shrank very nicely, but the wrist and cuff were way too wide. I just need to make a few more sets and figure out dimensions, which isn't very easy. The knitted mitt starts off about twice as long and two and a half times as wide as the finished product. I'll try and put some time in this weekend since with rain and all I won't work much outside.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

This is interesting.

Kat, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make. The beanie you traded me is a wonder at keeping my head warm. And very soft.

Doug, you were anything but quiet or shy. How modest.

Mittens like these are exactly what I need.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have used these with mixed success:

The articulation can be difficult in the winter, but I find their stylishness to overcome any physical limitations.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have dropped the ball a bit. I wanted to work on more prototypes this weekend, but I had to catch up on hat and tarp skin orders.
    I am not proud of what is in these photos, but it is what it is.. The prototype I brought to Coe was better fitted than this but not as dense, and I haven't seen it since Coe.
    This one , was made with sheep instead of llama wool, and it felted much denser, but the fit is just wrong. Way too wide in the palm and wrist. The fingers actually fit my hand, but the rest is way too big. So, just to make these somewhat functional for me, I knitted on a stretchy wool wrist, but all the bulk in that area did not go away. Boiling wool is a bit of a gamble, you don't know exactly how a wool will behave. That is why following someone else's pattern would be easier. I haven't given up, I have just been after augumenting my income with what I know will work. To give you an idea, knitting one of these takes me about 3 hours and then a good hour of babying while it shrinks, and then there is no guarantee of what it will be like. I will work on this some more, and I know the season is changing and it may be too late.
    Here is the beauty ; )

mitt

mitts

mitts

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

The Mountaineer in Keene Valley NY (adirondacks) seems to have Ortovox Dachstein mitts in some sizes:
    http://mountaineer.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MTR&Product_Code=ArcticMitts&Category_Code=64
    These are the real thing. The sweaters international mitts look to be similar and are cheaper.
    Dachsteins are very warm, very durable and pretty waterresistant and windproof.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools