Topic

Balloonbed Inflatable Sleeping Pad REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Balloonbed Inflatable Sleeping Pad REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Companion forum thread to:

Balloonbed Inflatable Sleeping Pad REVIEW

August Hahn

@august

Locale: Pacific Northwest

At one time about 20 years ago I had a simieler pad that had reusable bladders,I have tryed traction kite sites to see if I could get some custom made but have not recieved any replys the business is in China.If anyone knows anyone that could custom make tupes that would be really nice.please email me at [email protected] if you know any leads.Thanks

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I'm amazed this article didn't generate any debate on a UL backpacking site.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I see some improvements I think might be worthy of playing with. The first and most obvious is to make the shell out of lighter material….silk or cuben ala Bill Fornshell. The second is to make the shell 'baffled' like a quilt, with the baffles fitting tightly around the balloons. This would reduce the gaps where drafts sneak in, and may improve the R-Value.

The thrid possibility is to tie the balloons so they CAN be re-used. There is a technique involving twisting of the valve instead of tieing a knot that would work, but the balloons would ideally be more robust for this approach!

Definitely a fun DIY project ;)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I played with the Balloon Bed idea for several years. I found these things called "CheerStics" and started this thread:

CheerStic Air Pad

Then I went back to the ballon idea and dyed the white Silk Kilt black. The picture shows it being used at Wood's Hole Shelter on the AT in Georgia, October 2006, as the shell for my balloon bed. The balloon bed is torso length.

The Silk Kilt used alone weighs 1.9 ounces.

If you are careful you can tie a slip knot on the balloon and use it more than once. This is sort of hard so it you try this carry a few extra balloons. I am only about 50% successful with a slip knot.

The balloons alone have about "0" insulation value.

I use a self-inflating balloon that weigh about 3 grams each.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bill

> I use a self-inflating balloon that weigh about 3 grams each.

I am sure we would all love to know how you make a self-inflating balloon! Or do I misunderstand?

Cheers

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Perhaps he means he inflates himself (by mouth), rather than using a pump! I imagine this would be quicker than using a pump too. Otherwise I am intrigued….!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Clever stuff but it does not look that cumfortable to me!!! Plus who wants to be blowing up balloons after a long day of backpacking. Balloons don't self inflate-right?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> I imagine this would be quicker than using a pump too.

Depends on the person. I just don't have enough lung power to blow those balloons up… so it's use the little pump or nothing.

I wrote a brief balloonbed review around three years ago which come to many of the same conclusions that Carol did.

With the advent of the BA clearview and the soon to arrive thermarest, I would skip the balloonbed.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi all,

I have a special lot of balloons left over from a camp out with Harry Potter. Ha-Ha

Self-inflating – I should have said self-inflated. Anyway it means that I inflate them and don't use a balloon pump.

This is a learned skill.

All I will say about the balloon bed idea is that if you can blow up your own balloons and are only out for a few days at the lightest weight you can come up with – then the balloon bed might be worth the trouble.

My feelings about the balloon bed lead me to develop the Poly Tube Down Air Mattress.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

A balloon bed is very light for one night but fragile and not good for longer trips, because the balloons are not really reuseable . I wonder about a similar modular idea using the BPL 2 compartment pillows in a thin cloth or cloth/foam boxwall holder. A spare pillow would give security. That could be warm, comfortable and lighter than thermorests etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools